Raisons and Bee Pollen as Yeast Nutrient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacredBrew

Reaction score
I've got a 50 gallon oak barrel still bubbling in my basement. I forget how long its been, I think it has been bubbling for about 1 month. I added sugar to it at the beginning but no yeast nutrient. It has maintained a steady bubble. I debating wether to add raisons and bee pollen. I've heard that these are good natural yeast nutrients for cider. Has anyone heard anything about bee pollen and raisons as yeast nutrient? Any idea of what type of flavors they might produce? If the cider is still bubbling and it has been a month, should I even bother adding them?

Thanks.

I find that nutrients are very often not all that necessary with apples, depending on the apples. I've never tried bee pollen, but somebody in a thread here posted a link to a page with an analysis of bee pollen. It's been talked about in a few threads here.

I've used raisins in mead, mostly for tannin and flavour, but I'm sure they helped the yeast out a bit. I don't really think they would help much in a cider, though. Might even make it a little vinous if you add too many.

I think you should check your SG & taste it before you do anything. You might think it's just fine as is. If the fermentation is done, there's no point in adding nutrient, unless you plan on restarting your fermentation. In the future, add yeast nutrient/yeast energizer right off the bat. Raisins will provide some nutrients, but mostly they're added to increase the body. I use commercially prepared yeast nutrient & yeast energizer. Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back