raising temp on fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudsy426

Reaction score
So i have read a lot on here about starting a primary at one temp and slowly ramping up several degrees. Not sure how people go about this but i have a couple "heat mats" i use for seed starting my garden and curious if wrapping one of these around a bucket or carboy could do the trick.

Sudsy426 said:
So i have read a lot on here about starting a primary at one temp and slowly ramping up several degrees. Not sure how people go about this but i have a couple "heat mats" i use for seed starting my garden and curious if wrapping one of these around a bucket or carboy could do the trick.

Probably. It kind of depends on your situation. If your fermentation area is cool, you can ferment and then start to heat the bucket a little at a time. However, if it is warm, you can use a swamp cooler or tub filled with water and frozen water bottles. Then after vigorous fermentation subsides, just stop swapping out the frozen water bottles and passively let it warm up.

(Assuming you aren't brewing a style that benefits from stresses yeast) you want to get the wort cooled to the bottom of the listed ideal range. Even a bit cooler, if you would like. Then let it warm into the ideal range and hold near the bottom. As I said, once vigorous fermentation subsides, warm it further to the top of the fermentation range and a little beyond. This will ensure a controlled fermentation which doesn't produce temperature-related off flavors.

Well, since the right temp to begin most ale ferments is in the 63-65*F range, the main effort centers around pitching/starting it cool enough and keeping it there for 4-5 days. After that, unless your fermenter is in an area that's always cooler than 65*F, you can simply let the temp rise naturally to around 68*F or so to clean up and finish.

Please don't try starting it at a 70-75*F room temp this time of year and then artificially warm it up from there just to get a "stepped-up" ferment. It won't taste good.

Well, since the right temp to begin most ale ferments is in the 63-65*F range, the main effort centers around pitching/starting it cool enough and keeping it there for 4-5 days. After that, unless your fermenter is in an area that's always cooler than 65*F, you can simply let the temp rise naturally to around 68*F or so to clean up and finish.

Please don't try starting it at a 70-75*F room temp this time of year and then artificially warm it up from there just to get a "stepped-up" ferment. It won't taste good.

The kit i just did i pitched a tad high, i want to say somewhere around 70-72 and i think there is slight sweetness resulting from it but nothing off putting. Maybe in the cooler months this will be something to try as right now temp s around here are plenty high.

Cheers

This can affect the overall flavor and attenuation. It probably won't be terrible but not world class either.....I think most homebrewers efforts land in this range.

Yeah, I like to do that free rise thing at the end of many ferments. Works well. In the winter, I use a small aquarium heater in a swamp cooler to bring it up from fermentation temps.

Yeah, I like to do that free rise thing at the end of many ferments. Works well. In the winter, I use a small aquarium heater in a swamp cooler to bring it up from fermentation temps.

In hot places like Texas, the fermenter fridge/freezer regulated by an STC-1000 is invaluable.

Back