Raised Fermentation Temp on day 10 US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbfan87

Reaction score
I am brewing a somewhat high gravity pumpkin ale 1.070, with 2 packs of safale us-05. It was fermenting strong for 5 days or so and the krausen dropped by day 7.

I raised the temp from 65 to 66 degrees (temp controlled chest freezer setup) and this morning i heard some bubbling in the blow off water.

I'm wondering if fermentation kicked back up again or if this is probably just c02 leaving the beer.

I wouldnt think that us-05 would stall at 65 deg and get restarted at 66.

Curious to hear what experiences you guys have had.

This normal?

Thanks!

No, I don't like to open the fermentator until I am confident fermentation is complete. I had a couple infected batches in the past that made me paranoid ha.

The temp range for this yeast is 2-25°C (53.6-77°F) ideally 15-22°C (59-71.6°F)

So it should love the 65 range...I don't think its stalled. Its also IMHO one of the most forgiving yeasts that I have used.

Since most all my fermentation has been able to swing a degree or 2 either way I cant really say for certain but 1 degree is IMHO not enough to really do much in regards to yeasts activity levels unless your at the very bottom edge of it. You didn't really state that there was no bubbling at all before you adjusted the temp but that the Krausen just dropped....With your set up why not ramp up to 70 for a couple days and see what it does there? All science seems to point to it helping the yeast clean up after themselves anyway.
Bulk of your fermentation is done so your not going to pick up off flavors now. Other wise my guess is that it is just normal off gassing that will in my case anyway occur far longer then 7 days in. Rather that's some minute amount of attenuation still going on, or off gassing of Co2 , or from the yeast clean up activities is any ones guess.
I have never yet had a beer stall really once fermentation has started, but Im no speed fermenter either..All my beers get 3 weeks regardless of what they are. I am doing a experiment right now with a split batch of IPA shorting up conditioning by one week to see if it makes any difference. And of course It still bubbles occasionally at week 2 in the dry hop stage as most any beer will initially.

No, I don't like to open the fermentator until I am confident fermentation is complete. I had a couple infected batches in the past that made me paranoid ha.
If you don't want to take a gravity reading, just bump it up like someone else said and see what happens, take a reading if you get a couple of days of no activity. No way to tell if the fermentation is stalled or stuck without a gravity reading though, good luck. :mug:

Me either..that's one reason why all my fermentors have valves. But I dont always take FG readings anyway unless its a new recipe,yeast or some other change. Because I know what its going to be if it had normal fermentation activity and I used the exact same recipe as last time. So waste of time to me, it is want it is at that point and there will not be bottle bombs.

Id love to be able to not open them for dry hopping and adding priming sugar as well...still working on those. ( not ready to go the whole keg route yet, so that option is out) I drink too much beer as it is, I'm afraid Id turn into a Alcoholic with kegging gear.

Back