Raise temp for 3522 or leave it alone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runkelia

Reaction score
Pitched a belgian wyeast 3522 in 1.092 wort, have never used this yeast before. This was Sunday.
I usually use 1056 because my basement is a steady 66 degrees.
The temperature range for 3522 is 66 to 76, so I put my carboy heat wrap on and it went up to 78+, took it off now back to 66.
My thought was to just partially put it on and hopefully get it in the low 70s.
The heat wrap is good for a 5 to 20 degree rise.
My question is: should I just leave it at 66 or should I keep trying to raise it some as I have been doing.
It's probably not good to have a constant temp. change, just seeing what you guys would do.

IMG_20141216_163424714.jpg

how longs it been going? It likely mostly finished up at 78 so I don;t think swinging the temp again would do any good....

oh hmm...I thought it was a week or more. I would let it sit for a few more days and then slowly try to bump it up if the FG seems a bit high.

The only time I;ve gotten that awful plastic band aids flavor in my beer was from multiple temps swings with a Belgian Saison yeast.

66 is a great temperature for 3522. The inside carboy temp may be a few degrees higher. Let it be.

Unless you have a controller for your fermwarp it will be difficult to keep the temp stable at higher temps and yo-yo-ing isn't good. It may stall prematurely and finish at high FG.

Is it possible to stall at high krausen? I don't see much activity but it still burps thru the blowoff tube. Just paranoid a little

Is it possible to stall at high krausen? I don't see much activity but it still burps thru the blowoff tube. Just paranoid a little

No, that's impossible unless you cold crash it right there. But if you drop it at the wrong time (only yeast knows when that is) when fermentation has slowed down, it may call it a day and goes into dormancy. 3522 is pretty resilient but a few times I had them stall at 1.021 probably from an unintended temperature drop, way short of the 1.014 target and creeping down to 1.017 during the next 4 weeks. So steady is best, or warm slightly when things start to slow down.

Forgot to say: 3522 is a wonderful yeast, leaving a nice and unique Belgian signature, unlike anything else. Goes well with hoppy beer too.

Look into one of those STC-1000 controllers off Amazon, with a little handy work, maybe the best $18 you spend. Some guys on this board have altered them and sell "updated" versions (STC-1000+) showing temps in °F instead of °C and have programmable fermentation profiles. They also sell the enclosures ready to go.

Forgot to say: 3522 is a wonderful yeast, leaving a nice and unique Belgian signature, unlike anything else. Goes well with hoppy beer too.

I am using it for a 1.092 OG double belgian ipa, all galaxy hops! :mug:

QUOTE]

EDIT: the krausen in the picture is exactly the same today, about 3" 5 days after pitching.

I recently made a Belgian Blonde and a Golden Strong with this yeast, pitched both at 62 and raised 1-2 degrees per day up to about 82. Attenuation was impressive, esters were great, and I like that this yeast is low in phenols compared to trappist/abbey yeasts.

If you rocketed from 66 to 78+ in 48 hours, you might get some off flavors. Especially with a high OG. This guy might need some time to smooth out.

You'll probably be fine with that temp ramp - I'm 90% concerned with the lag phase and start of fermentation.

Love the pear and ginger aromas you get from this yeast. Drinking some of my Golden Strong right now! As it's aged it has developed some wine-like character. Like a crisp chardonnay or a sauvignon blanc that's not too citrusy

I let my 1.071 Tripel free rise in my 68 F basement. It went from 68 to 76 in 10 hrs! This worries me...
I added 1.5 lb of sugar shortly after that to bring OG to 1.083

I let my 1.071 Tripel free rise in my 68 F basement. It went from 68 to 76 in 10 hrs! This worries me...
I added 1.5 lb of sugar shortly after that to bring OG to 1.083

76 degrees? for a belgian yeast? I wouldnt be worried at all. Especially if it rose up there by itself. Ive pushed this and every other belgian yeast ive tried up to 80 or more with no bad issues. As long as you dont start there

I wasn't concerned so much with the temp as the speed that it got there.
I once got 1762 up to 84 F and the Fusel rubbing alcohol taste never really went away. I tried it again with a lower OG beer and slowly ramped it to 76, and had the same issue, just not quite as noticeable. I guess that's just 1762 though...

yeah I wouldnt take any non-belgian yeast that high. But ive even seen people starting their saisons and stuff in the 80s without issues

Latest posts

Back