Raise a glass please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcspanner

Reaction score
Ladies and gents, my grandfather passed today at the amazing age of 102. When you pour your next homebrew take a moment if you would to reflect on a life that spanned a period of time that saw our world change in a way most of us could never imagine.
Born a year before the First World War started he would go on to serve in the Royal Navy during the second global conflict of a generation. He was aboard HMS Sussex when she sailed into Singapore to take the surrender of the Japanese forces in 1945.

The memories of the conditions he found there never faded.

Shortly after his return he learned that his only son was suffering with bone cancer and would soon die. My grandmother was advised that the best way to get over the loss was to start another family (I think bereavement counselling in the 1940's was a little more "tough love" than nowadays) and so my mother was born.

When my grandmother had a severe stroke my papa took on the role of primary carer which meant he had to give up work- something he was not planning on doing despite being in his 80's. He was still delivering furniture up and down the country and had seen four or five young assistants come and go- unable to handle the physical nature of the work.

After My grandmother died he resumed his passion for growing vegetables and would usually be found out digging up potatoes or clearing a bed for the next crop. He never seemed to tire.

So although we knew he wouldn't go on forever it always felt as though he would. This pic was taken last Christmas and there's no way he looks 101 to me. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450392133.206767.jpg

Well I should probably stop rambling now, and just say how privileged I feel to call George Bullick my grandfather.

I'll miss you Papa. [emoji22][emoji481]

Wow, what a spectacular life he must have enjoyed. So sorry for your loss. No matter what they attain in number of years lived, they're always gone too soon for those of us left behind.

My Dad turned 90 this year and still going pretty strong. I hope he gets another 12 years too!

I will raise a toast to your Papa. May his legacy live on in the stories and wonderful memories you all share!

Sounds like he was a great man, and no way in hell does he look 101. Lucky to have had such vitality for so long.

I shall raise a glass and maybe even a stogie tonight.

Thank you all. The stories are going to be with us forever. My daughter already reminded me tonight of what he said when he was 97. His vacuum cleaner broke and he asked my mum to pick him up a replacement stipulating " Don't get me any cheap rubbish that I have to replace again in 5 years". Taking comfort from the fact that he was peaceful, surrounded by our family and knew he was loved. I hope we all have that when the time comes.

Condolences, never easy losing a loved one. He seems to have been blessed by the fact he lived to 102 and had a loving family. Cheers.

Sorry for your loss, your Grandpa lived a heck of a life though! I'll definitely share one for his passing.

At home with my family preparing to lay him to rest on Monday.

I shared all your comments with my family and my mother said to pass on her thanks for your kind words.

Latest posts

Back