Rain water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you collect enough rain water for a brew depending on your packaging size I would definitely recommend getting it analyzed.

Any water you use it would be advisable to get tested!

Depending on how you collect, rain water is not typically fit for consumption. I would not use it as an ingredient for beer.

I do use my rain catchment water to help me chill my wort after boiling by creating an ice bath with the rain water in a cooler, then putting in the brew pot. I'm very very careful that nothing splashes or drips into the pot.

rain water is probably some of the cleanest water you will ever find. the issue is really how clean is your collection apparatus? it all comes down to the weakest link. But once you boil a lot of "issues" will be resolved.

I can'timagine it's any worse than using tap water. Guess that really depends on where you live.

I'd probably filter it real good first anyhow and it's going to be really soft so you'll need to "build" it with salts and what not.

I can'timagine it's any worse than using tap water. Guess that really depends on where you live.
Tap water is regularly tested and if need be treated to make it fit for human consumption. Rainwater is neither of those things.

Tap water is regularly tested and if need be treated to make it fit for human consumption. Rainwater is neither of those things.
Rainwater also does not sit in giant tanks growing all sorts of funky micro-biological fun that needs to be killed with such treatments as chlorine and chlorimides. Rainwater also does not contains things like flouride or other things that are not pure water.

Rainwater is going to pickup atmospheric polutants for sure so, as stated, it's going to depend on where you live as to how much it picks up. Which where the good filter part of my post came in. I probably wouldn't advise using it if you live in an industrial area with noatbly bad air quality.

Same goes for tap water I'd imagine. If I lived in NY that has very clean very well treated water (or so I've heard anyways,that may be inacurate) then brew away. If I lived in Flint Michigan, I probably wouldn't use the tap or rainwater for that matter.

So again, I can't imagine rainwater being any worse than tap water, but I'd filter it anyways just for good measure.

Just for kicks i set out a glass during a down pour . I figured it would be nasty . We checked it with a TDS meter and was shocked it read 2ppm. I thought someone on here used collected rain water to brew . I just can't remember who.

Just for kicks i set out a glass during a down pour . I figured it would be nasty . We checked it with a TDS meter and was shocked it read 2ppm. I thought someone on here used collected rain water to brew . I just can't remember who.
I wouldn't expect rainwater to contain much in the way of minerals that come from the soil, what with it not having had any contact with it at all. :p

The pollutants that are not very beneficial to your health are measured in ppb so you'd need much more sophisticated equipment to measure them.

I wouldn't expect rainwater to contain much in the way of minerals that come from the soil, what with it not having had any contact with it at all. :p

The pollutants that are not very beneficial to your health are measured in ppb so you'd need much more sophisticated equipment to measure them.

Yeah that makes sense . I never have to worry about it because it never rains enough here lol. Others would laugh at our "down pours lol"

I use rainwater for brewing. It's clean, tastes good and is very low in TDS. Fortunately I live in an area with some of the world's cleanest air (Tasmania, Australia), so I'm not worried about pollution in my water. If I lived in a large city or near a large industrial area, I'd probably reconsider. A good guide is whether many people in the area drink from rainwater tanks. If people drink it, it should be safe to brew with.

It's not important where you live but what water rains on your head. Sulphur compounds from steel plants in the US create acid rains in Sweden.

Tasmania and New Zealand are probably among the few places on the planet where you can collect decent quality rain water. (Written in February 2021)

RO water is decently cheap and probably much better.

The key is collection. If you can get clean rainwater why not try it?

Problem is...Most people I know Who collect rain water get it from a barrel that collects water From a rooftop. That means besides environmental pollutants you‘re looking at picking up nasties from everywhere between the cloud and the barrel. Asphalt shingles? Bird droppings? Decaying plant matter in the gutters?

Where does everyone think the water that comes out of the faucet comes from. Pretty much all water that is no desalinated ocean water is rain water.

Where does everyone think the water that comes out of the faucet comes from. Pretty much all water that is no desalinated ocean water is rain water.
Well yeah, but it is naturally filtered by mother earth before being filtered again and treated.

Also, Much Of the water in the Great Lakes region comes from...wait for it...the Great Lakes.

You can use rain water.

You can make beer with lots of different water sources, but will it be good to drink?

These dudes brewed on the ice using lake water, and they're drinking it.

Given that it's distilled water I would get it tested to see what it picked up atmospherically but would bet that it's better than my local water.

Last weekend it rained mud here, not joking. Ultra-fine sand / dust from the Sahara gets blown up into the atmosphere and it then migrated north in the clouds. The clouds were visibly "yellow/orange" and it rained orange mud, not a raindrop with a tiny bit of sand, we're talking thick brown drops of mud falling from the sky.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/types-of-weather/wind/saharan-dust
So yes, it's possible for rain water to contain a lot of minerals...

601e870659bf5b378e1b1dc5.jpeg

Obviously I meant "dissolved" minerals as only those will affect a TDS reading.

I saw the phenomenon you describe too although it didn't rain where I live so the only clue was that the light looked really funny for a while. I suspect we don't live that far apart.

Obviously I meant "dissolved" minerals as only those will affect a TDS reading.

I saw the phenomenon you describe too although it didn't rain where I live so the only clue was that the light looked really funny for a while. I suspect we don't live that far apart.

Yeah, I know, I was posting that more as a warning to using rainwater. Although locally the tap water is 50% rainwater (reservoirs) mixed with water from wells and the lake...

I can't PM you, likely because my post number is now 10.... But I'm on the shores of western Europe's largest lake...

I thought I smelled Raclette...

I live close to Western Europes's deepest lake. ;)

Latest posts

Back