Racking to keg to soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennie1986

Reaction score
I brewed up an IPA and I was wanting to rack to keg and set and forget to carb for a week cause my beer supply is low, I'm panicking lol! What off flavors if any can I expect to see from racks g early? I won't of course rack if I'm not at my FG but the beer is has been clearing up for the last week.

Yuri_Rage said:
Sample it. If that's the flavor you want, keg it. If not, age it.

In theory, if I racked to the keg and didn't think it was ready wouldn't letting age in the keg be similar to a secondary?

Did you do a diacytal rest of at least 24 hours before racking? If not you will get diacetyl or a butter flavor in your beer, which can be ok in IPA's a bit.

tomhen said:
Did you do a diacytal rest of at least 24 hours before racking? If not you will get diacetyl or a butter flavor in your beer, which can be ok in IPA's a bit.

I'm confused, I didn't use a lager yeast so why would I have done that?

I have not racked it yet though.

I'm confused, I didn't use a lager yeast so why would I have done that?

I have not racked it yet though.

some ale yeasts can throw diacetyl but its usually cleaned up on its own post fermentation due to the warmer temps ale yeasts are usually fermented at.

if you are anxious to drink and don't think its ready to rack yet i'd recommend giving it the few extra days in primary to clean up and settle some yeast out and then either shake when you are carbing or let it sit at a higher psi for 30 hours or so to carb it quicker.

I do a diacytal rest on all my ales and lagers. I let it hit terminal gravity wait 24 or 48 hours, chill and transfer to conditioning/serving. It works. Didn't mean to butt in.
Cheers,
Tom

Got a chance to take a sample of this beer tonight. My OG was 1.071 and its at 1.016. I shamelessly collected a full glass because I knew if it was good I would want to drink more than just what fit in the hydro cylinder, LOL! I will be racking this tomorrow due to the results of the sample because it is so good I could drink the while thing uncarbed!!!

Back