Racking technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enoch52

Reaction score
What technique do you all use to track to the keg? I had assumed you just use the tracking cane to rack into the main opening and then connect the gas lines, but I ran across a set of instructions to push the sanitizer out with CO2 and then rack in using the liquid out port and bubble the CO2 that gets pushed out through a container of sanitizer.

What do you all do? Do you really risk much oxidation by just racking it in like you would a bottling bucket?

Yup. Autosiphon, silicone tube long enough to reach the bottom of (<whatever>). Rack. Whether bottling bucket, keg, or sometimes both in turn when I want to do that.

I purge O2 after kegging and have had no issues, but I have not brewed a NEIPA yet and I think those are supposed to be pretty susceptible to oxidation.

I purge O2 after kegging and have had no issues, but I have not brewed a NEIPA yet and I think those are supposed to be pretty susceptible to oxidation.
How do you purge the O2? Just hook up the CO2 and pull the release on the keg a couple of times?

I use the procedure you describe. Easy to sani multikegs at one time. Alternatively you could fill and vent the keg to 12-15psi 5 times and then siphoning through the out qd while venting as it fills. At a minimu siphon to thd bottom of a purged keg while flyshing the headspace w CO2.

Your initial description is the best.

Latest posts

Back