Racking Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a quick question about racking my beer to a secondary fermentor and/or bottling bucket. When last I posted on here I was having some issues with my beers carb'ing up (you can read all about it in this thread).Since then, I've brewed one batch (a saison about 4.5% and bottled from primary after two weeks) and it ended up pretty good…although, some bottles were carb'd more than others.

Anyway, my question is this. When racking my beer, should I take care to leave as much of the sediment in the primary fermentor or should I get right down in there and siphon some of it into secondary? With my first three batches (two of which did NOT carb) I took extra care to not disturb/siphon any of the sediment. With my current batch, I just stuck the fermentor all the way to the bottom of the carboy and let her rip (my thinking was; this sediment is mainly yeast and yeast will help my beer carb) and had successful carbonation after the beer was bottled.

My current receipe calls for racking to secondary after two weeks, with a dry hop addition (which I've scheduled for this weekend). My OG was right around 1.060 and I used wyeast 1335.

What do you guys think?

Your carbing issue was NOT caused by leaving anything behind. There was still plenty of yeast in suspension.

When I rack to secondary (not often) I am not particularly careful because I know I'm going to get a relatively small amount and it will resettle. When I rack to a bottling bucket I am more careful because I don't particularly want it in the bottles. At the same time, trub in the bottles isn't the end of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back