Racking into Tertiary prior to kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcticBear

Reaction score
Last week I dry hopped a red IPA with 3 ounces of Amarillo hops. It has been just over a week in the secondary and there is significant trub in the bottom of the carboy and a solid layer of the hop pellet "gelled" on the top.

here's my question. There is still A LOT of trub suspended in the beer. Is it going to affect any of the flavors from dry hopping if i try and clean it up a bit in a tertiary fermenter for a week? or should I just keg it and let all that trub settle at the bottom of the keg to be blasted out in the first few pours...

i'm relatively new to kegging so any advice would be great.

Thanks duders :mug:

I would not tertiary. You will sacrifice a good amount of drinkable beer.

When you rack, just leave the trub and hops behind.

thats normally how i do it, make an effort not to get any of the trub or hops into the keg but this time there is so much trub still left in suspension i dont see that theres a way to really avoid it... save from maybe putting my racking cane into the carboy with a nylon bag around it to act as a "filter"...

Nothing wrong with the nylon! Just dunk it in "no rinse" along with a rubber band.

tilt the frementer at an angle and try to get the sediment to slide over, give it a few days to settle. Tilt the other way when racking.

Nothing wrong with the nylon! Just dunk it in "no rinse" along with a rubber band.

tilt the frementer at an angle and try to get the sediment to slide over, give it a few days to settle. Tilt the other way when racking.

I just said eff it and racked it into the keg. I figure I'll just blast the sediment out on the first few pours from the keg

Latest posts

Back