Racking cane...after all these years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penderwoman

Reaction score
Hi...so, here is the thing...for all these years....( well, a couple...) I have been using the racking cane the way I read in my 2 wine making books. I have been inserting the curved end into the carboy in order to have the submerged end above the lees. This works well, and conforms to logic, except that I have broken about 5 racking canes trying to get them into the narrow neck of the carboy. My husband, who also has read to use them this way, inserts them without difficulty. So now I am seeing numerous youtube vids and articles stating to use the racking cane straight end into the carboy....I mean if the curved end is out, why not just use a straight wand? ... The tubing will bend anyway. So....which way is correct? I'm serious here, this is not a completely whimsical question....how do you use a racking cane? I doubt we are the only ones who use it this way....

Hi...so, here is the thing...for all these years....( well, a couple...) I have been using the racking cane the way I read in my 2 wine making books. I have been inserting the curved end into the carboy in order to have the submerged end above the lees. This works well, and conforms to logic, except that I have broken about 5 racking canes trying to get them into the narrow neck of the carboy. My husband, who also has read to use them this way, inserts them without difficulty. So now I am seeing numerous youtube vids and articles stating to use the racking cane straight end into the carboy....I mean if the curved end is out, why not just use a straight wand? ... The tubing will bend anyway. So....which way is correct? I'm serious here, this is not a completely whimsical question....how do you use a racking cane? I doubt we are the only ones who use it this way....

Straight cane into the carboy, with the black or red tip to help not suck up lees, and the curved piece is attached to the tubing. The piece on the end of the racking cane (if you have one) is so that you don't pick up pieces or chunks of the lees, while the other side fits perfectly into the racking tubing.

Like this:
racking cane.JPG

It's easiest if you have an autosiphon, though. One pump and it goes by itself!

I use mine with the curve at the top (upside down 'L').

...The piece on the end of the racking cane (if you have one) is so that you don't pick up pieces or chunks of the lees, while the other side fits perfectly into the racking tubing....

Good Lord! All this time I thought that piece was just to protect it during shipping!

Latest posts

Back