Quirky wifi propane tank monitor on clearance at Home Depot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zolakk

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got back from Home Depot and it appears they have the Quirky Refuel wifi propane monitor (product info) on clearance for $20, down from $50. At my store they were unpriced, just stacked on the clearance shelf. :rockin:

It connects via your home wifi, so I am thinking the app does all the heavy lifting and so it may be possible to take hack it from that end. I'm going to hook up a packet sniffer later on and see if I can get anything useful - if so, I may be able to adopt it for CO2/Keg purposes but even so it will be nice to have a monitor on my propane on my brew stand.

So basically it is a pressure or weight sensor in a bladder that determines the volume by weight... And as the tank heats or cools with the ambient temperature, the weight will vary both up and down. Seems like it might not be very accurate unless it is in a constant temperature. JMHO :)

I saw that thread, but it seems to have died and didn't think reviving it was appropriate since I wanted to share that it got even cheaper. Also, like I said, worst case I use it as intended so I know at a glance if I need to refill my propane when planning a batch. But it would also work on a 20lb CO2 cylinder without modification either - mine is mounted outside my keezer so temp fluctuations are not a concern

Temp fluctuations will not affect weight (unless you want to correct for the bouyancy of air due to the tank volume expansion/contraction with temp. :p) The pressure inside a tank with a liquid-vapor equilibrium (the case for both propane and CO2 as long as there is liquid left in the tank) will vary with temperature.

Brew on :mug:

Back