Quietest high end kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kal

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 2-tap free standing kegerator and have been running in circles trying to find information on which high end kegerators are known to be QUIET.

This unit is going in a sun room we're having built that's all windows/tile/aluminum trim and my wife wants to listen to nature, not a compressor. ;)

I would prefer something with a higher end look and quality such as units from DCS, Marvel, Perlick, and so forth.

Other requirements are not overly critical:

- Free standing (not built in)
- Mostly stainless (or at least the front)
- Hold at least 2 ball lock kegs

Budget is flexible.

My guess is that commercial units from companies like "True" are out of the question as commercial usually means noisy since they're more concerned with rate of cooling.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Kal

I have a simple Haier that holds three kegs & is in my Florida Room. It has a stainless door.
Very quiet & no problems in 4+ years.
I also use a Haier fridge as the coming unit for my ale ferm chamber. It has been very quiet & reliable and will hold 5, 6 gal carboys even as low as 50°F.
As for high end, I'd go w/ True, Beverage Air, or Perlick.
I do have a commercial, 2 door True for holding beer & wine & the occasional keg for cold crash.

You're right that the True's and BeverageAir's are very noisy. They're loud even if in the next room.

The Marvel's are very good, I have one converted to a fermentation chamber. No louder than a typical mini fridge. New they are not cheap, though.

They have a front ventilation grill, so if you make it built in that will certainly muffle any noise from the back.

If it looks like a mini fridge inside and not like a commercial continuous cycle unit then they probably use similar if not the same refrigeration components. I think making it built-in will do the most for noise reduction.

Why not run the taps through the wall like in your basement?

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

As for high end, I'd go w/ True, Beverage Air, or Perlick.
Do you have experience with their kegerators not being noisy? Is that why you recommend them? I haven't heard any of them but True fridges I've heard are very noisy. Not something I'd consider in a living area.

You're right that the True's and BeverageAir's are very noisy. They're loud even if in the next room.
That was my assumption as well on True. I've read that the BeverageAir DD58 is very noisy and the reviews are mixed on the BM23 - some say it's quiet, some say it's noisy.

The Marvel's are very good, I have one converted to a fermentation chamber. No louder than a typical mini fridge. New they are not cheap, though.
Thanks. I'll see if I can find one to see in person. They're about $2K new.

I think making it built-in will do the most for noise reduction.
No real possibility to do that but I'm not sure how much it'll help as front vented units tend to be completely sealed around the back and sides anyway since there's no airflow required. All of the front vented fridges I've owned or used have all the noise come out the front.

Why not run the taps through the wall like in your basement?
It's more complex: It would basically be the same idea as a kegerator but with the taps and the fridge separated with a trunk line between the two (what I do in the basement). So I'd have recirculate chilled coolant in the trunk line to keep the beer cold.

Kal

To close the loop:

I've ordered a Marvel "Outdoor Mobile Beer Dispenser", model MO24BTSMRS, with 2 taps. Holds 3 ball log kegs.

Looks like this but with 2 taps:

MO24B.png

I've already ordered Perlick 630SS faucets to replace the ones it comes with. I'll have to replace the sanke keg disconnects with ball lock QDs as well.

The "Outdoor" means that it's on casters, is stainless on all sides, glass guard rails, and has a more flush drip tray. They have slightly less expensive versions based on the same Marvel chassis if you're ok with black plastic coated sides and no guard rails/casters.

I was able to give one a listen and while it's not the quietest thing in the world, it's more of a soft 'whooshing' noise than an buzzing fan. That said, I'm not sure I'd put it in the house in a room where you want it to be absolutely quiet. Ours is going in a sunroom and may get carted outdoors from time to time (hence the reason for the casters). Once it arrives we'll see for sure how it sounds.

Looking at the showroom model I was happy to see that all the draft equipment (tower/hoses/regulator/tank/etc) are from Micromatic. They make quality stuff. For example, the tower is polished stainless, not plastic like some of the cheaper kegerator models (or even not cheaper models - I was surprised to see that Perlick and DCS use plastic towers).

Thanks again for the comments everyone.

Cheers,

Kal

Back