Quick Volume and Salt Addition Estimation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterblum

Reaction score
For some reason, I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this - I need to do a quick, somewhat accurate volume and salt addition estimate, as I am using a FastFerment 3gal - I need to maximize the space available.
I want between 2.75 and 3 gallons in there without trub -I am planning an AG batch using 5lbs of grain, so I will lose approximately 0.625qts of water, including salts - so I need to calculate salt additions for at least 3.625 gallons of water.
Last time I did a similar batch, I had about 1 gallon of trub in the fermenter - I want to avoid that this time. I am going to whirlpool with a pump to avoid this as much as possible, but still need to make up for inevitable lost volume. Are salts lost to the trub just as sugars are?
Do I need to adjust both my grain bill AND my salt additions to accommodate for trub loss?
Should I be at: grain bill and salt additions for 4.625 gallons OR grain bill for 4 gallons and salt additions for 4.625 gallons? Or is it something else?
Thanks

Latest posts

Back