Quick steamer basket question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnadz

Reaction score
I'm going to try a biab brew and since my kettle already has a steamer basket, I was planning on using that. My question is whether those of you that use the basket actually seal the bag and set it in the basket or would it be better to wrap the bag around the edge like a garbage bag in a trash can so I can directly stir the grains?

I tend not to use baskets, but have made bags for a few. The best option IMO is to have the bag line the inside of basket, then come up and over the outer edge of the kettle so you can stir during the rest. When it's time to remove the basket, gather the bag in the top of the basket and remove.

Set it in the basket and over the edge of the kettle and secure with binder clips.

NOTE: If you are recirculating, leave some space at one point between the edge of the bag and the kettle in order to get a stir paddle or spoon under the bag and break suction if/when it happens... learned that this weekend the hard way...

I tie the top of my bag to the top of the basket using a shoe string under the lip of the basket. Not really any different than what ulsh72 does with binder clips.

I clip it to the steamer basket like this. The biggest advantage is that I can put the lid on the pot during the mash without the clips getting in the way.

If I don't use the clips, my bag tends to fall into the kettle when stirring the mash. I lost about a pound of grain one time into the wort when the bag fell into the kettle. Now I make sure to clip it good!

image-512625751-74be16979710d4c4e7c6647856088456.png

I had a bag made to wrap over the lid of the basket so I could stir. This is how I drain back into the bk...no pulley systems, no extra pots, simple. I pull the bag off the lip of the basket when I drain so I can squeeze so that's why you can't really see it in this pic.

image-1455316390.jpg

I tend not to use baskets, but have made bags for a few. The best option IMO is to have the bag line the inside of basket, then come up and over the outer edge of the kettle so you can stir during the rest. When it's time to remove the basket, gather the bag in the top of the basket and remove.

This what I do, my bag has a draw string and a cord lock.
DSC00021.jpg

I only use the basket when i lift the bag full of grains into my sparge kettle.
1. lift bag, let drain and transfer into basket that's in the sparge kettle
2. let grains rest in bag/basket that's sitting on top of spacer that keeps it off the bottom of the kettle
3. batch sparge or dunk (which ever you prefer)
4. when ready and is elevated ( i use an upside down veggie strainer), push down on basket of grains to get the last drop of precious wort (beats trying to squeeze by hand "hot")

I had a bag made to wrap over the lid of the basket so I could stir. This is how I drain back into the bk...no pulley systems, no extra pots, simple. I pull the bag off the lip of the basket when I drain so I can squeeze so that's why you can't really see it in this pic.

I do the same thing with my steamer basket. Makes it so easy. I highly recommend using a steamer basket for anyone who does BIAB. :mug:

I like the drawstring idea. I should do that on my next bag and eliminate the need to clip to the steamer basket.

happypanties said:
I do the same thing with my steamer basket. Makes it so easy. I highly recommend using a steamer basket for anyone who does BIAB. :mug:

I like the drawstring idea. I should do that on my next bag and eliminate the need to clip to the steamer basket.

The draw string makes it so much easier to squeeze if you choose to. And I can just imagine one of the clips popping off and sinking into the mash haha. That wouldn't be good.

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll go with the drawstring and tilted steamer basket to drain. Maybe a separate kettle to sparge.

I didn't mention this, but my initial brew kit came with a 5.1 gallon (or so it claims it was 5.1 gallon, thats filled to the very very top of the lip) cheapo SS pot. I've used this to do both "dunk" sparge and "pour through" sparge. Seem to get a couple extra points with 1-2 gallons worth of sparge water, same results using either method. Sometimes I feel like doing it, sometimes I don't. One thing I did try was buying a grill grate from Lowes and putting it between the basket and the BK but the grate was wider diameter than the pot and I lost some of the wort because surface tension (and an non-level patio) caused it to stick to the grate and run off the side of the grate onto the porch. Probably won't try that again until I find a smaller one (maybe one that fits into the lip of the bk.

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll go with the drawstring and tilted steamer basket to drain. Maybe a separate kettle to sparge.

You coming upon BIAB brewing bliss.
When I squeeze the grains I start out by twisting the heck out of the top of the bag then using a medium size Tupperware bowl and press hard as I can.
Voile is some of the toughest material I have ever seen for it to be so frilly. It will take a lot of abuse.

I have my moms old Singer sewing machine so I made my own bag as seen here. I am still using the same bag.

Back