Quick Stater Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle23

Reaction score
I made my first starter the other day. I had some issues with it boiling over, and pitching the yeast when it was still on the warm side due to time constraints. All the issues were my fault and could have been avoided, but I think it was a worthwhile experience.

The long and short of the process was:

1) Boil the wort
2)Cool the wort
3) Set it on a stir plate to 48 hours
4) Place in the fridge for 48 hours
5) Planning to take out and use tomorrow

When I looked at the starter last night after it had been crashing for about 12 hours the yeast cake on the bottom didnt look overly significant. I dont know how much to expect since I've never done this before. Its not a dusting of yeast but it;s also not like its an inch thick.

What should i expect in a finished starter, and if i dont have a overly think yeast cake, should i pick up more yeast and go add it directly from the packs? Thanks in advance

Things to ponder.

1. Why do we boil the wort if it is made from DME? To pasteurize it? That could happen well before boiling which would eliminate boil overs.
2. If we didn't get the wort quite so hot (boiling) it would chill quicker.
3. Does it take 48 hours to grow significant amount of yeast?
4. Will your entire starter dilute or change the flavor significantly in a 5 gallon or larger batch? Without cold crashing (and even with) there will be a significant amount of yeast suspended in the beer that you intend to decant. Do you want to lose that yeast?
5. Did you build a large enough starter so you can save a portion of it and use it for the next batch?
6. Do you understand the consequences of over pitching or under pitching? Unless you are a professional brewer and/or a BJCP certified judge you may not be able to tell the difference between the under pitch, over pitch, and perfect pitch.

A starter will never give you an inch of yeast. More like a sixteenth to an eighth of an inch. We cannot tell if you got the growth that you should have. The warm temperature that you pitched the yeast could be good for the yeast or very bad depending on how hot...

I use the yeast pitch calculators, not because I can taste the difference, but because I want to give my beers the best chance I can to allow them to turn out great.

OP, I use a gallon jug, I make typically 1.5L starter, pitch 100b (std WYeast pack), run 18-36hr, let it sit 18-36hr and usually room temp not cold, and I get MAYBE 1/8-1/4" thick on bottom. I presume I have 300b because that's what the calcs say I'll get. I do decant some, to a 1L marking I have on the jug, swirl it up and save 1/3 for next build and pitch 2/3 and presume I have about 200b into fermenter.

Like kh54s10 said, my starters only have ~1\8 inch layer of yeast on the bottom after 48 hours. I don't use a stir plate. Just haven't made that investment yet. I make mine about 2 days before I plan on needing it and I never refrigerate unless I need to hold them more than 2 days. Pitch the whole thing. It won't affect the flavor in a 5 gallon batch. And I don't think it would affect the gravity much either.

For me, I use the stirplate for about 18 hours. If the starter is over 1 liter I chill and decant. If it is less than 1 liter and it is brewday when done I don't decant. I usually make a starter larger than I need then make 4 vials of 5 ml yeast, 5 ml glycerin and 10 ml water and freeze them for later use. I have successfully revived yeast stored for well over a year. Some of my vials are approaching 3-4 years old. When I get a chance I must try one of them to see if they are still viable.

Latest posts

Back