Quick/Simple question about adding water after 60 min boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saeroner

Reaction score
5 gal IPA kit - LME

The directions on the kit call for 1.5 or 2 gal of water during the brewing/boiling process. I imagine to get the brew up to 5 gallons I need to add (clean) spring water. Is this done after the cool down period of the wort (after the 60 min boil)?

The directions on the kit doesn't say anything about adding the extra water. Just skips to the fermentation process.

Should this be done in attempt to cool the wort "as fast as possible" after the 60 boil?

You can add it after the boil to help in the cool down process. Or if you have the space in your kettle, you could go ahead and boil about 6.5 gallons, accounting for boil off, and not add water after. Depending on your cooling procedures, i.e. if you have a wort chiller, the former may be a better option.

You will need to add top-off water to reach your 5 gallon mark. Remember to mix well before taking you OG reading or it won't be right.

I always do full boils. However, if I'm not at the 5 gallon mark after cooling and adding to the fermenter, I top her up to the 5 gallon mark. This has potential risk of infection due to not sterilizing the water first in the boil, but I haven't had any issues the few times I've had to do it.

Thanks. I want to get to a full boil soon. This is my 1st so hopefully can grow from there.

Thanks

Thanks. I want to get to a full boil soon. This is my 1st so hopefully can grow from there.

Thanks

Follow the kit recipe for now. The boil volume and LME/DME additions are also part of hop oil extraction for bitterness, flavor, and aroma. Changing the boil volume may involve changing the hop additions to achieve the intentions of the recipe.

The smaller boil volumes means less hot wort to carry, easier to cool down in a sink full of ice water, doesn't require an estimate of boil off, and easier to finish cooling to yeast pitching temperature with the addition of cold top off water to achive final volume.

If you boil 2 gallons, and it is 5 gallon recipe, add three gallons of cold water to your fermenter. Add your semi-cool wort and then top off to the 5 gallon mark.

I find keeping it simple leaves less chance for error when just beginning to brew.

Like the Flars says above, follow the directions on the kit. Boil the amount the instructions call for and then after the boil set the pot in an ice bath. Once it gets to about 80F add it to your fermenter and top off with ice cold spring water to the 5 gal mark (if the kit is for a 5 gal batch). I like to use unopened 1 gallon jugs of spring water to avoid contamination and I also recommend you take a temp reading when get to the 4 gallon mark and if the wort seems like it's getting too cold then continue the top off with room temp spring water.

Back