Quick Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneoffcustom

Reaction score
Fairly new to brewing, i have a few batches under my belt, but always looking to learn more.

I just brewed a partial mash kit (Oatmeal Stout). Suggested starting gravity after boil was 1.06 and i came in at 1.07. Suggest Finished Gravity was 1.016-1.02 for roughly a 6%ABV.

My question is simply this... The fermentation was extremely violent using Wyndsor Dry yeast. Within 3 days the bubbling stopped. I waited until day 8 (Three days no bubbles) to read the gravity again. This is fermenting in a 6.5g bottling bucket. I opened the top and checked my gravity and was at 1.02. I then opened valve on bottom of bucket and took a second reading that shows 1.04.

Is it normal to have a different reading of .02 from top of brew to bottom?

I have since split the batch between two 3g carboys (2.5g in one/Little less that 2g in the other). Reasoning for this was to add in PB2 to bigger batch, and leave other as is. After adding in the PB2, fermentation started back up, while the other is still as is.

I've never taken a reading from the bottom like that, everything settles over time so I'm sure the measurement would've been obscured. Just take samples from the top, but give it time. Go at least 2 weeks before you start worrying about it. Let the yeast do it's job, no need to rush it.

Thanks Cad for the input.

I haven't hit worried yet, but headed that way. They are tucked into their respective secondaries now where they will sit until the end of april.

Back