Quick Question On Storing in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustym

Reaction score
I had a Plae Ale fermenting for 3 weeks, hit terminal gravity, and racked to a secondary so I could use my 6.5 carboy for another batch. My secondary has been in a cool room (around 65) for a week and the beer looks like it's clearing nicely. My S-type airlock is still in but the liquid is on the opposite side. I'm thinking that with no, (or very slow) fermentation going on, there is not enough CO2 to force the liquid to the other side. My question is, I have to go on a trip all week and won't be able to bottle for about a week and a half. At this stage in the process, should I just replace with a solid cap or will the airlock be ok? Can the liquid be sucked all the way out? It's a StarSan solution. What do you guys do? Thanks!

Even small temperature swings may cause a vacuum in your vessel if the beer has completely fermented. If not over filled, the "S" type airlock will bubble backwards, not suck back liquid. Over a very long period of time this could cause oxygen issues, but infection is very unlikely. I prefer vodka in the airlock because it doesn't loose its antibacterial properties over time the way Starsan can, but either is fine. The week and a half you’ll be gone will only make your beer better.

I wouldn’t be comfortable with a sealed carboy. If you did get an infection, fermentation could restart and result in an explosion.

I would honestly leave the airlock as it is. It won't hurt anything, and like AnOldUr said, it's best to not have the carboy sealed or you could come home to shrapnel and a mess.

Back