Quick question about overflow from bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepublicpig

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I lost my old email so had to start a new account.

I opened a home brew that has been in storage for about 4-5 months. It is a wheat beer, Secondary fermentation had a lot of fresh raspberries. It was a bottle, proper head space, priming sugar was dissolved and added properly.

Well when I opened it it gushed. About half of a bottle gushed.

It happened with another one of my home brews too that was stored in the same situation as the wheat.

After brewing I moved my beers to the attic to stay nice and cool. They were then moved (not by me) to another spot in the house and the temperatures get pretty decently warm. I would say around 75-85 degrees on some days.

I was curious if the over flowing was due to just improper storage?
The taste is fine, it isn't off in any way so i don't notice infection.

Im just talking it out.....

any pointers on where you guys and gals store your home brews during the warmer times would help too. I don't think the wheat is a lost product just don't want to make future mistakes.

THANKS!!!!:rockin:

Did you take any gravity readings? Sounds like it might not have fermented out completely before you bottled. After metabolizing your priming sugar, the yeast slowly went back to work on the maltose.

@Calypso I put threw bottles in the fridge. I opened two at about 2 hours and I have one still in there to try tomorrow.

@CraptainWirtz I was also thinking that some fermentation took place inside of the bottle. We (i brewed this with a friend) took readings and bottles at what seemed an appropriate time. I was curious if the sugars from the fresh berries caused the yeast to start going wild again. Now that I think of it the beer does seem rather dry and when I tasted it originally about a month after bottling not only did it not overflow but it was sweeter.

Three thoughts:
1. How long did you wait after adding the raspberries until you bottled? It's possible that the extra sugar from the raspberries didn't fully ferment out until they were bottled.
2. There's a possibility of wild yeast on the fresh raspberries that could maybe have fermented some of the sugars that your original yeast didn't.
3. Is it possible that you didn't mix your priming sugar completely? I had this happen once- got 2 bottle bombs, multiple partially carbonated bottles, and a few perfect bottles. I speculate it happened because I siphoned through a paint strainer to filter out hop material, and think I didn't get my usual mixing.
4. The best possibility is maybe they just weren't chilled long enough.
Good luck. Hope the rest turn out good.

Back