Quick one on Wheat DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Math0

Reaction score
I can't find an exact answer on this. I am looking to reproduce a recipe I found here. It calls for 3 pounds extra light DME and 3 pounds light wheat DME.

To make it all grain, I was thinking of 7 lbs 2-row, 1lb carapils and 2 lbs wheat malt. Will it be close that way? Any suggestions?

I think you'll be close, but I'd maybe swap out 0.25-0.5lb of the carapils for more wheat.

How will you be mashing?

Well, heating up water to 166F, put in mash tun, should come down to about 155 with grain. Let sit for 1h then sparge up to 6.5gal at 165 for 15-20 min.

wheat DME is typically 40-60% wheat, so taking an average of 50% you should use 1.5 pounds. that being said, going up to 2 isn't going to change that much (and will only improve your beer IMO) so i'd stick with 2.

carapils is typically around 5%, so take the carapils down to a half pound and replace with 2-row.

is source of the "extra light DME" specified? some extra light is made with pils/2-ro2 mix. while others (like english maltsters) use only 2-row.

No it is no specified, this is why I am so unsure. I thought all extra-light DME was made with 2-row AND carapils. Good to know that it wasnt true!

Thanks for the help. So 7.5lbs 2-row, 0.5lb carapils and 2lbs wheat malt. Maybe more 2-row if I want it stronger ^^

One other consideration, is this recipe actually for a wheat beer? If so you may just want to up the wheat percentage as you've only got 20% as is. If the wheat DME was intended to be something like Briess with 65% wheat, the original recipe would be more like 1/3 wheat, 2/3 barley. A typical range for various wheat beers would be 40-60% wheat.

One other consideration, is this recipe actually for a wheat beer? If so you may just want to up the wheat percentage as you've only got 20% as is. If the wheat DME was intended to be something like Briess with 65% wheat, the original recipe would be more like 1/3 wheat, 2/3 barley. A typical range for various wheat beers would be 40-60% wheat.

Adding 2-3 pounds of flaked wheat would do the job?

Back