Quick Newbie question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGFV

Reaction score
Hey all, about to start my first (of many to come) extract batches of beer and had a quick question about bucket and carboy sizes.

Currently I have a 6 gal fermentation bucket and multiple 6 gal better bottle carboys. I was wondering if that would be enough room for 5gal batches as long as I included a blow off tube to catch any blow off while I'm at work/not home etc?

Or would it be best to be doing 4 gal batches in them.

Hey all, about to start my first (of many to come) extract batches of beer and had a quick question about bucket and carboy sizes.

Currently I have a 6 gal fermentation bucket and multiple 6 gal better bottle carboys. I was wondering if that would be enough room for 5gal batches as long as I included a blow off tube to catch any blow off while I'm at work/not home etc?

Or would it be best to be doing 4 gal batches in them.

I use 3 gallon carboys for 2 1/2 gallon batches with no blow off problem so I imagine you'll be fine.

If you use a blowoff tube you'll be fine. Some of this depends on how much beer you actually have in the fermenter. My fermenters are 6.5 gallons, not unusual for me to have 5.5 gallons of beer in there, and I don't have blowoffs.

But it depends on the wort, the yeast, the temperature--so try it with a blowoff tube and see.

Back