Quick help and suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schuby_racer

Reaction score
Here's my dilemma... I brewed a 1 gallon kit (Brooklyn Brew Shop - Piney Pale Ale). I neglected to take an OG. It's been fermenting for 2 weeks, and it's still bubbling. I want to bottle it but I want to make sure it's done doing it's thing so I don't end up with bottle bombs.

Biggest problem - I promised to bring this to a family reunion. There will be 5 other people plus myself drinking it, so I want to make sure I have as much as possible on hand to share, so taking hydrometer readings 2 or more times quickly uses up my small batch.

Am I OK assuming it's ready after 2 weeks? Should I wait until the bubbles virtually stop? Suggestions please.

Plan on leaving it in the fermentor for three weeks. When the yeast drops out of suspension, assuming it is done will be fairly safe.

Why couldn't you sanitize your hydrometer tube & hydrometer, and carefully / slowly pour the sample back in?

Such a small batch I'm worried about contamination. Plus my sample tube is the cheap plastic tube the hydrometer came in, which actually has tape covering a hole... So doesn't seem like something I want to pour back into the batch.

Like said above.... I have not taken a final gravity reading on many batches. Let it ride 3 weeks and then bottle.

Trying to hit a specific date/event can be the easiest way to ruin a brew without allowing it to properly ferment and condition. If it is still bubbling then it not ready for bottling yet. Like the others said let it ride and then allow enough time in the bottles for carbonation and conditioning to occur which should be another 2wks or so. Rushing it just for the sake of taking it to an event could leave you with some unwanted flavors causing disappointment. Just my .02

Trying to hit a specific date/event can be the easiest way to ruin a brew without allowing it to properly ferment and condition. If it is still bubbling then it not ready for bottling yet. Like the others said let it ride and then allow enough time in the bottles for carbonation and conditioning to occur which should be another 2wks or so. Rushing it just for the sake of taking it to an event could leave you with some unwanted flavors causing disappointment. Just my .02

I'm fine letting it sit. I wasn't trying to imply I needed it soon. I just want to have as much to share as I can, so I don't want to sample much, if at all. I just wasn't sure since the instructions don't actually list an OG or a FG, just a time table of when to bottle (2 weeks). But since it was still bubbling at the 2 week mark, I figured it was still fermenting. I know basing everything on the air lock bubbling is not very exact or recommended, but that's where I'm at.

Hey, I'm still fairly new to the ball game but I have learned the hard way on my first couple batches by rushing them wanting to taste them and have others experience my brew to know that patience is a virtue.

Thank you everyone. Yeah, I'm not in a hurry at all. Not planning on sharing until June. Time is on my side.

I thought it was ready to bottle because it did stop bubbling once, so I brought it upstairs from my basement so, if it jostled at all, it would settle before bottling day, and it took off again. Is been 4 days since I thought it stopped bubbling the first time, and it's still going about one every 30-45 seconds. I think part of that is it's 2-3° warmer in the kitchen than the basement

Yep that would do it. An increase in the temp and slightly jostling the yeast may have gotten some back into suspension causing it to take off again. This should make for a better brew in the long run as your fermentation may have been stalled or incomplete otherwise. Good luck

Back