quick hello from long island, ny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HI there, just found this awesome forum! I've been brewing about 12 years, and settled on casual extract brewing. I've done all grain and all that, but since time is more limited than ever I settled on extract brewing, usually only a few mos a year (sep - jan). I'm starting to brew my first "wild" beers and going up with the alcohol level lately since I'm not as impatient as I used to be :)

I do an occasaional wine, but not often at all. I just started a batch of Cabernet Sauvignon.

Anyway, looking forward to learning a lot from all of you!

-Rob

On tap: Kriek, brewed around Dec 07, opened keg about a month ago
Next on tap: Belgian dubbel style (I guess.. a bit high gravity though)

Coming up? not sure - dopplebock for the dec/jan would be nice!

Hey, I'm from LI, too. Just getting started, though; hate to admit that I ordered a starter kit online instead of hitting Karp's or Kedco because it's such a hassle for me to get to either place during business hours.

In any case, looking forward to my first brew--NB's Mild extract kit--next weekend. Figured I'd start on something low-gravity for quick drinking. Once that's in bottles I'll be more patient. Maybe.

Lots of great stuff on these forums; so much that I almost feel like I don't have any questions! Well, not yet, at least...

To be honest, I don't often go to those stores anymore, even tho I work down the road from kedco. I go there for emergency supplies, hop bags, etc. Maybe a kit here and there. I use NB beer kits 90% of the time now. Sorry, local economy, but they just have nice fresh yeast, and LOTS of kits. I've really streamlined over the last 12 yrs or so. I brew a batch, I don't worry, and I drink it. I try to stay away from most complications now, unless I'm hell bent on something different. I keg it up 100% of the time now, even the strong ales... Bottling sucks!!!! What town are you in? I'm in lake ronkonkoma.

I definitely hear ya. I try to support local business, but sometimes it's not practical. I'm in Levittown, and just far enough from Farmingdale for it to be a pain (110 on a Saturday? no thanks.)

I'll keep drinking at Black Forest, though!

Back