Quick Disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrolight

Reaction score
So I was content with some 3/8th inch bore quick disconnects and 1/2 tubing until I read about everyone worrying about their line sizes and talking about 1" lines...

But the only ss quick disconnects I found that large are crazy expensive by comparison (~$70 each set vs ~$16 for the set). Am I looking at the wrong places or are y'all really ponying up that much?

I use the $16 set with 1/2" tubing on my system and I have no complaints. I don't know who is using 1" lines. That's huge. Maybe 3/4" but unnecessary I think unless you are in the 1 BBL or bigger range. You could use the threaded quick disconnects instead of the barbed to attach your hoses, I believe the threaded ones have a larger ID so you have less restriction. Again, I use the barbed ones with no complaints. Could my recirculation speeds be a little faster with less restriction, sure, but I have yet to see the need for more flow than what I have. If you are worried about flow, go with camlocks from brewhardware.com. He has special custom ones that use a 1/2" ID to match the tubing.

I use the $16 set with 1/2" tubing on my system and I have no complaints. I don't know who is using 1" lines. That's huge. Maybe 3/4" but unnecessary I think unless you are in the 1 BBL or bigger range. You could use the threaded quick disconnects instead of the barbed to attach your hoses, I believe the threaded ones have a larger ID so you have less restriction. Again, I use the barbed ones with no complaints. Could my recirculation speeds be a little faster with less restriction, sure, but I have yet to see the need for more flow than what I have. If you are worried about flow, go with camlocks from brewhardware.com. He has special custom ones that use a 1/2" ID to match the tubing.

+1

I use 3/8" ID hoses and fitting on kettle drains and 1/2" ID for my RIMS. Currently doing 5 and 10 gallon batches and have never experienced any issues. Spend your money on something else that gives you a better R.O.I.

Back