Quick business / tax question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
I'm sure there are a few accountants and finance people here. In July I started the steps to open a business. Applied for an EIN, started building a website and that's as far as it went. Never sold anything. I've decided to close it down. Since I never sold anything, do I still need to do a schedule C? I never even got my licensing set up, so was it even considered a business? My start up cost was very small so I'm not worried about losing that little bit. If anything I would file a zero return. Anyone have any insight?

Been years since I worked in tax accounting as I have been in government accounting for almost 30 years now but I would say no. Schedule C is used to report income or loss from a business, since you no income and are not worried about the little bit of start up costs, then you should be ok.

Thanks, that was my general thinking but needed a second opinion. I know they hate to see zero returns.

Back