Quick Berliner Weisse advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hjandersen

Reaction score
Hi all

I was planing on brewing a Berliner weisse this weekend based on this Beersmith post.

Essentially souring the beer with lactobacteria for a few days prior to the 'primary' fermentation.

Any caveats to be aware of?

I brewed a one-gallon test batch of BW based on Dawson's instructions from the vidcast. I got a wort together, inoculated with lacto, kept the 1 or 2 gallon kettle (lid on but more headspace than it probably should have had) in the oven and kept putting in large measuring cups of water I boiled in the microwave (I had a weekend with very little else to do) in the oven to keep it warm. After a couple days I re-boiled it, inoculated with US05, and bottled it a couple weeks later. It took at least 4 months before it was enjoyable enough to drink, but it sure was good.

I've heard that if you don't re-boil after the lacto fermentation and you're looking for a yeast that plays well with lacto, Wyeast 1007 is supposed to be good. If I were to use 1007 like that I think I would keep the fermentation temperature at the high-end of 1007 preferred range.

That's weird it took so long before it was drinkable. I've done my BWs in a similar manner (I used OYL-605 - plantarum), except with 1056 and it was great right out of the gate (post-ferment).

@cactusgarrett really? I wish I could remember how exactly it tasted. I think it was like a really bad saison until about 4 months in when it got to be kind of like a light beer lemonade kind of taste.

I have abandoned the reboiling step, and now I co-pitch my LAB and yeast. I am liking the beers better, and it is simply easier to do. I use Plantarum for my Berliners, it sours pretty well at room temp. I have not had any issues with the yeast when co-pitching. My Berliners with only Sacc are ready to package usually after a three week fermentation. I use a variety of yeasts with my Berliners, and don't brew to style in that regard.

I have abandoned the reboiling step, and now I co-pitch my LAB and yeast. I am liking the beers better, and it is simply easier to do. I use Plantarum for my Berliners, it sours pretty well at room temp. I have not had any issues with the yeast when co-pitching. My Berliners with only Sacc are ready to package usually after a three week fermentation. I use a variety of yeasts with my Berliners, and don't brew to style in that regard.

I've started doing the same thing and actually have a 3.5 gallon Berliner Weisse that's one day into fermentation now using this method. I do something slightly different though and rack my wort to my carboy when it's around 105-110'F, pitch the LAB and then wait until it drops to mid 70's before pitching US-05.

Last time I let it sit for 2 months before packaging and it had a great sourness.

Do you give your LAB any kind of lead time or is it a straight co-pitch?

I used to give the LAB lead time, and pitched it warmer as you do. Now I am straight co-pitching with the yeast and leaving it alone. I think that part of the process is strain dependent on the LAB. I am using Good Belly shots for my LAB on Berliners now, and I have found that it sours pretty well at my ale ferm temps. After fermentation is finished, I often add fruit, dry hop, or such and give it whatever extra time the additon may need. Most often I am keg conditioning this stuff-- so It is getting a little more time there as well.

I've been doing a lot of Berliners like this lately. I really like having them on tap. I am starting to do these with 100% brett now, and am pretty excited to see where it takes me.

Back