Questions on Wheat Raspberry Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigarcherynut

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread in regards to using real fruit or extracts for a wheat beer my wife and daughters want me to brew. After much well appreciated input I have decide to go with a puree. They are looking for a lighter beer with raspberry flavor.

This is the kit I have chosen from my local brew store.

Weizenbier Kit:
To create such an easy drinking Weizenbier, Brewers Best combined European hops and wheat malt to produce a classic summertime beer with a light body and a smooth finish. To produce the characteristic flavors and aromas, the Brewers Best Weizenbier is fermented with an authentic dry wheat yeast.

Contents of the kit include: ingredients, bottle caps, priming sugar, and brewing procedures.

Fermentables: 6.6 pounds (2 cans) of Wheat Liquid Malt Extract (LME).

Hops: 1 ounce and 1/2 ounce packets of German Hallertau hops (may vary due to availability).

Yeast: 1 sachet.

IBUs: 6 - 10
OG: 1.047 - 1.051
FG: 1.011 - 1.015
ABV: 4.5 - 4.75%
Difficulty: Easy
Color: Deep Gold
Category: Classic
Application Tip:

To upgrade the yeast to a liquid culture, purchase either the Wyeast 3068 Wehenstephen or 3638 Bavarian Wheat yeast separately. The 3068 provides a bright fruitiness and accents of clove and wheat while the 3638 accentuates banana, fruit and wheat. (Additional yeasts are sold separately.)

Another suggestion was to add the zest of 3 lemons to the 5 gallon batch. The zest is to be added 5 minutes prior to the end of the boil. I'm doing an extract kit so I'm not sure when to add the zest.

I plan on using a 49 ounce can of Red Raspberry puree to the secondary. Thinking of letting that set for a least a week.

Now for the question.

1. Does this kit and ingredients sound like a winner?
2. Because I'm using an extract kit, when would be the right time to add the lemon zest?
3. When racking the beer into the secondary I'm planning on racking onto the puree. I plan on using my bottling bucket as a secondary. Do I stir it in also or just let the puree sit on the bottom?
4. I don't want a bitter or tart taste. Anything I should do different?
5. Will the ABV be increased due to the puree and if so when would I take readings to verify finished ABV?
6. When I'm done with the secondary do I add my corn sugar for bottling directly into the secondary and stir it in then bottle?

Any other input is appreciated.

Thanks

I've bought my kit and ready to brew. The guy at the brew shop suggested using orange zest for a sweeter taste then the lemons would give. Sounds good. Anyones input is appreciated.

Yeah that sounds on par for a good wheat. I do several hefeweizens and they all use extract in some proportion. It would turn out well for sure. What yeast are you going to use, the dry? It would probably be an American ale type strain, and would be more neutral then the Bavarian style. Both would be great with Raspberries, and I have a similar extract recipe fermenting on 1.2 kg of frozen raspberries right now!

Answers by Q:
1. Sure if you keep ferment temps between 62-66F
2. I wouldn't (see 4)
3. A gentle stir will suffice, very gentle.
4.Not a problem with this hop bill and ingredients, unless you add lemon
5.Not significantly, as with your raw fruit sugar, there is water, and the combination may add volume to your brew but not increase sugar concentration.
6.you generally don't want to bottle straight out of a used fermenter, to avoid excessive sediment.
Siphon it into another sanitized vessel then add the appropriate amount of dextrose for a wheat beer.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

You can just ignore the ABV factor of the fruit, with the added liquid that comes with it, it is minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah that sounds on par for a good wheat. I do several hefeweizens and they all use extract in some proportion. It would turn out well for sure. What yeast are you going to use, the dry? It would probably be an American ale type strain, and would be more neutral then the Bavarian style. Both would be great with Raspberries, and I have a similar extract recipe fermenting on 1.2 kg of frozen raspberries right now!

Answers by Q:
1. Sure if you keep ferment temps between 62-66F
2. I wouldn't (see 4)
3. A gentle stir will suffice, very gentle.
4.Not a problem with this hop bill and ingredients, unless you add lemon
5.Not significantly, as with your raw fruit sugar, there is water, and the combination may add volume to your brew but not increase sugar concentration.
6.you generally don't want to bottle straight out of a used fermenter, to avoid excessive sediment.
Siphon it into another sanitized vessel then add the appropriate amount of dextrose for a wheat beer.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thanks for the input. You've answered them all. I have decided to add orange zest instead of lemon zest. Do you think that will add the flavor without a tart taste? Thinking using the zest from 3 or 4 oranges.

Thanks so much.

Jayslaw,

I looked at the yeast that came in the kit and it's a Lallemand Munich Wheat beer dry yeast.

The directions on the kit calls for you to pitch it dry.

Jayslaw,

I looked at the yeast that came in the kit and it's a Lallemand Munich Wheat beer dry yeast.

The directions on the kit calls for you to pitch it dry.

Well if its dry you should have an adequate cell count for sure! And that yeast will most likely produce a more estery product, geared towards a Bavarian wheat (hefe). Should work great.

As for the orange zest, go for it, just don't go overboard, you are already going to have some Raspberry tartness and banana flavors and aroma. If you are zesting the fruit yourself, do not get any of the white pith in there, it will increase your bitterness considerably.

Well if its dry you should have an adequate cell count for sure! And that yeast will most likely produce a more estery product, geared towards a Bavarian wheat (hefe). Should work great.

As for the orange zest, go for it, just don't go overboard, you are already going to have some Raspberry tartness and banana flavors and aroma. If you are zesting the fruit yourself, do not get any of the white pith in there, it will increase your bitterness considerably.

Thanks for the feedback.

I started it Monday evening and I used the zest of 3 oranges. My wife even warned me about not getting the white pith in it. Good women! She's watching me closely seeing this batch is for her and our girls.

It started a little action by last night and is bubbling strong this morning.

Thanks agian.

Back