Questions on bottle: from primary to bottling bucket with priming sugar.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lashack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My local home brew shop said (with the equipment I have) is to:

1) Prepare priming sugar with 1/2 cup of water. And pour into bottom of bottling bucket (5 gallons).

2) Siphon from primary (5 gallon batch) to bottling bucket, and priming sugar will naturally mix in without stirring and causing aeration.

3) Bottle in individual bottles and cap.

Is this a proper technique to use to ensure even carbonation and overall good bottling techniques?

Also,

I have a 5 gallon batch and 5 gallon bottling bucket. Will I be pushing the brim of bucket or should I be fine?

Thanks home brewers,

- Lashack

Yes, that's what I do.

I sure don't like a 5 gal batch in a 5 gal bucket, however. I would spill it! I would try to find a 6.5G or similar bucket.

I do 2.5 and 3g batches and use a 3.5g bucket.

I would assume you will not get quite 5 gallons out of your 5 gallon batch. There will be some loss. If not, leave 1/2" behind to be sure you pull no trub.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Your LHBS is correct. Continue to reward them with your brewing $$$. :rockin:

It's odd your bottling bucket is only 5. Almost all beer kits I've seen/held had the same two 6.5G buckets. One with a hole for a spigot, one without said hole.

Be berry, berry careful if it is 5G . . . . .

'da Kid

I usually used more water for the priming solution and did a very gentle (no splashing) stir, but that's me.

Early on when I was following instruction like that just about to the letter, I had a couple inconsistent carb incidents. No bottle bombs or anything, but some definitely ended up at different carb levels. That's when I went to more water in the primer and a few very gentle stirs.

In my 5 gal carboy, if I fill it up to the 5 gal mark I always lose some to blowoff. If you want 5 gal get the 6 gal fermenter

Yeah, even my Better Bottle is 6 gallons. My other plastic fermenter are about 6.5 & 7.9 respectively. I boil 2C of spring water a couple minutes before adding the weighed amount of priming sugar. It seems like only 1/2C would make for a thick priming solution. Then stir off the heat till it goes clear again. Cover to chill a bit while I get the fermenter & racking tubes, etc sanitized. I use a racking tube from the fermenter on top of my fermenter stand to the bottom of the bottling bucket on the floor to avoid oxygenating the beer. The tube curled half-way around the bottom of the bottling bucket induces a swirl that should mix the beer & primer pretty evenly. But I like to give it a few gentle stirs with a sanitized long spoon just the same.

Back