Questions etc. etc. etc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy from a Hoosier.
How do I ask a question?

Wow, I was going to post a Hoosier joke, but thought better of it.

Amylase is found in human saliva and also within grain kernels. They are activated by the warm water during the mash and help convert the starches into fermentable sugars.

I'm not sure if you can simply buy this, as I've not had reason to look for it yet.

Human saliva; now THAT'S interesting! I remember reading about Mary Schlissinger, a missionary somewhere, and to brew fruit juice for their wild parties, the natives would chew it up, spit it out in a container and let it ferment. They made it by the barrels.
So now I finally find out why it worked, though what I'm really interested in is converting starch in sorghum syrup to keep it from gelling.

Wow, I was going to post a Hoosier joke, but thought better of it.

Amylase is found in human saliva and also within grain kernels. They are activated by the warm water during the mash and help convert the starches into fermentable sugars.

I'm not sure if you can simply buy this, as I've not had reason to look for it yet.

so what you're saying is you could just drool into it... :drunk:

Welcome, if you have any questions you can private message me, and I would be happy to help.

I actually found Amlyase Extract at an online homebrew store. I had no idea is was available. Normally we just get it with the grains we crush, so there is no need to purchase it separately. Of course if we were trying to convert something that didn't have it, we'd either have to mix with grains that did, or find another source.

Latest posts

Back