Questions and a more formal introduction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proofman

Reaction score
I’m in central Arkansas (any other Arkansans in here?). Proofman was a nickname given to me by friends many years ago (alcohol consumption based). I used to live in Alaska and I tried some amazing homebrews up there. It seemed like there were more home brewers there, per capita, than anyplace. That sparked my desire to start brewing. Now I live in an Arkansas dry county!

I’ve already gotten some help in the beginner’s forum. I had a problem with my OG (red ale) last night and went online and did a search for “home brew forum” and that got me here.

When I get home from work this evening, I should see some bubbling in the airlock, correct? Or do I need to give it a couple of days?

Should I sanitize my bottles and bottling bucket a day or two before I suspect it will be ready, or is it OK to sanitize immediately before I bottle (i.e., little dry time)?

Is there a bible of brewing for newbs to get? Something geared toward beginners, or at least useful to us?

Proofman said:
When I get home from work this evening, I should see some bubbling in the airlock, correct? Or do I need to give it a couple of days?

Probably, but if there isn't - don't worry for at least a couple days.

Proofman said:
Should I sanitize my bottles and bottling bucket a day or two before I suspect it will be ready, or is it OK to sanitize immediately before I bottle (i.e., little dry time)?

Right before is best, but you can do it before

Proofman said:
Is there a bible of brewing for newbs to get? Something geared toward beginners, or at least useful to us?

How to Brew by John Palmer

Proofman said:

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing, by Charlie Papazian. Most people here refer to it as "The Bible".

Use Palmer's online guide to feed your homebrewing brain, but read Papazian to enlighten youre homebrewers soul.

Back