Questions about mashout. Need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skippy823

Reaction score
1. Why would someone include a mashout step?
2. How do you do a mashout step?
3. What are the benefits of doing a mashout step?

Welcome to HBT!

I don't want to pounce on you, but have you done a Google search on mashout yet?

If you want to search our forum, type or copy/paste this into your (Google) search engine:
site:homebrewtalk.com mashout​

Did you track down the needed info?

What type of process are you using? (BIAB? Fly/Batch Sparge?). What type of mash tun are you using? (Kettle? Cooler? Recirculating?)

A mash out is an optional step, but more beneficial with a sparge process and easier if your equipment supports adding heat to the mash. For many years I mashed in a kettle and did a mash out by putting the kettle back on my burner and boosting the temp up to 168F (before transfering into my lauter tun...an insulated bucket with a false bottom). I have moved to BIAB and I am still trying to figure out if I want to keep doing a mash out.

I actually read that the mashout step at higher temperature enhances the formation or extraction of glycoproteins which are good for foam stability and head in general. First trials on my side seem to go in line with this statement but I cannot say for sure if it is correct or not.

The one principal thing I notice with mash out is easier runoff. Theoretically the higher temp furthers gelatinization and solubility. Smoother, faster, slightly more efficient runoff (the latter I attribute as a side effect of the former).

There's also the "setting fermentability" aspect. But that's easy to compensate for in other ways.

It doesn't do anything practical for BIAB, barely useful for batch sparging. Most useful for continuous sparging.

Back