Questions about lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a temperature-controlled fermentation chamber or lagering chamber. But I can probably keep a carboy chilled for a couple of days using ice.

If I ferment at the mid-40's to low 50's for a few days and then let it rise to basement temperatures (mid 60's) is that enough? Or does it need to be cold-conditioned again after fermentation is complete? (and if so, will just refrigerating the bottles for a week do that?)

Or should I just use Nottingham and ferment as cool as I can and pretend it's lager?

I'd like to brew a Märzen; probably use something like half pilsner malt and half Red X, and German hops.

I'd go with the ale yeast for now.

Sometimes lager ferments can take more than a couple days - maybe a week and a half or more. If you don't mind switching ice out for that long, your plan could work. And yep, I always warm lagers up to the 60s when fermentation is almost done and keep it there for a while.

But if your basement temps are perfect for ales, I'd stick with the ales.

I disagree. From my experience, as long as you can keep the temperature at 8c-13c (46-55f) for the first 3-4 days (multiplicative phase i.e. until 50% attenuation or thereabouts) you won't get off-flavours from letting it rise to ambient temperatures for the remainder of the fermentation.

Back