Questions about cold crashing ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Androshen

Reaction score
How long does it *typically* take to cold crash a 5 gallon carboy of mead?
I ask because I have 5 gallons of chocolate mead and the chocolate powder insists on staying in suspension - making the mead VERY cloudy. I started the batch last March and would really like to get it into bottles ....
I have no empty fridge and so would have to set it outside ... but it has been in the single digits so I do not dare leave it outside too long as I do not want a mead-cicle :)

Sooo .... what are the chances that it would clear before it freezes in 7-12 degree weather?

How long does it *typically* take to cold crash a 5 gallon carboy of mead?
I ask because I have 5 gallons of chocolate mead and the chocolate powder insists on staying in suspension - making the mead VERY cloudy. I started the batch last March and would really like to get it into bottles ....
I have no empty fridge and so would have to set it outside ... but it has been in the single digits so I do not dare leave it outside too long as I do not want a mead-cicle :)

Sooo .... what are the chances that it would clear before it freezes in 7-12 degree weather?

Not good. Some wines and meads take a long time to clear, some don't. But I don't think it'll clear in less than 12-15 hours, but it probably would freeze before then!

Even with using finings like gelatin or bentonite you're probably looking at several weeks to get some good settling action. I'd cold crash it as long as you dare before it freezes, then rack to another carboy (if you have one) and add finings and let it set a few more weeks.

Back