Questions about buying grains in bulk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remthewanderer

Reaction score
I'm slowly making moves that will allow me to brew all grain batches by the spring. My Christmas present from my family was a penrose kettle from the brewhemouth guys. I'm super excited about it!

At some point I'm going to get involved in my local group grain buy for a 50lb sack of 2 row or other base grain. I want to supplement this with a few different types of speciality grains.

Ignoring the types of speciality grain that I should buy, what is the best way to buy speciality grains? I don't think I would be able to use up a 50lb sack of any variety of speciality grains.

As an extract brewer, I make a mean kolsch and a really nice Irish stout. I'm working on a good pale ale recipe right now. I want to be able to brew these three beers once I move to all grain, and from what I can tell there is no real overlap in the grains used.

As a general rule I buy 2-row and hops in bulk. The specialty grains I just get at my LHBS. I usually buy at least a pound extra, so I have some stock at home. Like you said, I can't see my self going through 50# of Crystal malt in enough time to ensure its freshness. Some group buys will let you buy in 10# increments for specialty grains. If you have that option, I would suggest you go for that.

Back