Questionable yeast for stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has a krausen formed on top of the wort?

yes you can repitch yeast - what strain and how was it packaged originally and what are you now thinking? in a pinch US05 dry will prob get it going if you are having struggles.

About 1/4” of Krausen.

So, assuming the krausen hasn't actually started to fall, the fermentation might have just got off to a slow start (e.g. due to temperature or pitch rate). Personally, I rarely advise pitching additional yeast. It's almost never really necessary.

If you're thinking about re-pitching, I'd recommend at least measuring gravity before making that decision.

Be patient, ive made a RIS with nottingham and it took a month for the fermentation to be complete. And it ended great. Mine was 8.5 % ABV

I agree, if you have krausen then your yeast is working. What temp are you fermenting at?

I'd wait another 6 days or so then take a gravity reading so you'll know for sure. If it's dropped close to FG then move it to around 70 degrees for a few days to let the yeast clean up after themselves then package.

Back