Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frosty56

Reaction score
Over the weekend I racked some cider I've have sitting in the secondary since December into a tertiary with some raspberry purée to sweeten... I looked today and there is some white areas forming on top. Is this mold? has it gone bad? Thoughts on what I should do

Hard to say cause the pic isn't very clear. But that doesn't look not infected.

I'll try not to get distracted by the weed desert item.

I don't know what that is.

Could be pectin, could be some kind of gelatenous bacterial colony, could be mould formation.

As I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong) if there's snarky stuff on the surface, you can rack onto Kmeta/Campden which discourages narsty growths, making sure you don't rack the stuff you see into the new fermenter. I haven't ever put puree in my secondaries, just thawed-frozen fruit, and they bleach out from the yeast, but if what you see is fuzzy or blue, probably not good.

Here is a pic... There's quite a bit of head space since it's a 6 gal carboy. I have added the pot sorbet and pot meta

That has sat for a long time for you to leave it sitting with a lot of oxygen. When was the last time you sulfited and sorbated? If it was back in December you need to do it again. My guess is its mold. It certainly isn't anything good though. You should be bottle ageing for extended periods of time to avoid this.

No this has happened since Friday... I sobated and sulfited when I transferred Friday... It hasn't progressed really since Monday so I might rack and bottle now

Latest posts

Back