Question regarding Cam-Locks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahave

Reaction score
Is there any reason why most people put the male ends on the vessels/pumps and female on each hose? Is it easier to install this way?, or is it a matter of cosmetics / preference?

Thanks in advance!

cam-locks

It's probably a matter of having the mechanical bits on the part that your hands are already on I suppose. Also a carryover from the sleeve-lock QD mentality. I have verified that the type B threads into a ball valve and still operates, even on 3-piece valves. Take your pick.

I do know that I couldn't possibly put a female part on my mash tun recirculation return. No room.

I put males on stationary equipment and females on hoses. I figure when I drop the hose the female will suffer external damage but will continue to seal properly. If the male fitting was dropped, onto my concrete floor, the I risk damage to the sealing surface.

Its cheaper #1 I only have 6 females and 12 males..
plus when not in use you don't have the cam levers i hang out to get caught on

I went with the "cheaper to put the female fittings on the hose" do to the amount of the fittings I have at the moment...

I bought female fittings whose hose barb ends because they were less expensive. Ite seems to work well for my set up. Also, I did not have enough space on my plate a chiller to thread female ends onto it.

I put males on stationary equipment and females on hoses. I figure when I drop the hose the female will suffer external damage but will continue to seal properly. If the male fitting was dropped, onto my concrete floor, the I risk damage to the sealing surface.

Its cheaper #1 I only have 6 females and 12 males..
plus when not in use you don't have the cam levers i hang out to get caught on

I think these are both very good points.

Latest posts

Back