Question regarding addition of Bugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recusit8m

Reaction score
Brewed my first sour ale about a month ago...Today I racked off of the cake into secondary and pitched 1ea B. brux, Lacto, and B. lambic along with .75oz French Oak cubes and .75oz 8mo Celia (2.8AA) hops...Question is this...Will I see any additional fermentation activity with the bugs? OG was 1060ish and pre bug gravity was 1012...Thanks let me know

Visible fermentation activity will be fairly unlikely in my experience if you are talking about airlock activity or krausen forming. Within a few months you will possibly see a pellicle form depending on how much O2 is able to get through your airlock.

These beers are all about patience, I would give it a good 4 to 5 months before I even tried how it tastes.

You probably wont get any sourness from the lacto you added, the commercial strains are pretty worthless unless you baby them, and by adding to an already fermented wort they arent gonna do anything, if you want some acidity your should add some pedio,

also for future reference and to save yourself some $$, next time just buy a lambic or roeselare smack pack, they contain everything you added plus some

You probably wont get any sourness from the lacto you added, the commercial strains are pretty worthless unless you baby them, and by adding to an already fermented wort they arent gonna do anything, if you want some acidity your should add some pedio,

This is not my personal experience. If you make a starter with the lacto, about 1500 mls, and let it sit at 80-90 for a week or two, then chill and decant the dregs into you beer it will sour the hell out of it.

I have had great luck with this. Just the other day I tried a beer that was 2 months old with the lacto and it was nice and sour.

Don't forget to mash really high. In the 160 range.

Cheers,

BW

This is not my personal experience. If you make a starter with the lacto, about 1500 mls, and let it sit at 80-90 for a week or two, then chill and decant the dregs into you beer it will sour the hell out of it.

I have had great luck with this. Just the other day I tried a beer that was 2 months old with the lacto and it was nice and sour.

Don't forget to mash really high. In the 160 range.

Cheers,

BW

yes but your going out of your way from the start, this is the exact opposite of what he did, he already fermented out the beer and is now adding lacto

the wy/wl lacto strains are very bad with any appreciable amount of alcohol or hops in excess of 5-10

Back