Question on viability of Wyeast Smack Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm brewing a double IPA (1.074 SG) later this week with Wyeast 1056. The yeast has been in my refrigerator since I got it a month ago. I noticed the pouch was pretty swollen when I got it, but I didn't think a lot about it. The yeast has a best used by date of 05/23/2021 (I really wish they'd go back to the packaged on date, but that's another topic). I got the yeast out yesterday to make a starter and the pouch was really swollen - like rock hard. I didn't "smack" it as it was way too hard to locate the nutrient pouch, much less smack it. I made a 1.8 liter starter and put it on my stir plate.

I usually create my starters in the afternoon, and they are usually completed by the next morning - layer of dried krausen in the flask and little to no active fermentation. When I checked the starter this morning, roughly 15 hours after creating it, there was only some condensation in the flask and just a little bit of foam in the middle of the whirlpool. About three hours later I did see some krausen forming. It's now been 24 hours and it's showing active fermentation (see photo).

I can't say how many starters I've created over the years, but I've never had one start this slowly. I'm also not sure what would have caused the pouch to swell so much. I did check the little nutrient pouch, and it was intact, so that wasn't the cause. I did not add the nutrient to my starter; I don't know if that may have slowed it down, although I've used plenty of White Labs and Omega and they don't have one to begin with.

Do you think I should just let fermentation complete and use it like normal, or get a new pouch of yeast? I appreciate your thoughts on this!

Attachments

• Starter.jpg
    Starter.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 18
Do you think I should just let fermentation complete and use it like normal, or get a new pouch of yeast?

I see no compelling reason to get more yeast. I would let the starter finish and take a look at the result. If it looks normal for the estimated amount of cells you were targeting, it should be good to go.

I cold-crashed the starter (as I always do) and it looked like a normal yeast cake. I brewed and pitched yesterday. There was a little activity by last night and it's going strong now - very similar to my previous batches of this beer - so everything looks good.

Thanks for your help!

The yeast has a best used by date of 05/23/2021 (I really wish they'd go back to the packaged on date, but that's another topic)
... i tell you what... i think THAT topic deserves it's own thread!!
That is a +1 more win (for me) to the Imperial Brand...
Why not BOTH a born-on date, AND an expiration date?
Sorry to de-rail, but this is part of the OP point!

Meh. Wyeast has been straight-up that the production date is 6 months prior to the "best used by" date.
That math should not challenge most home brewers ;)

Cheers!

Maybe Wyeast should put an indicator on the smack pack showing if it was exposed to temperatures above 40 degrees... if that Rocky Mountain water/beer company can make cans that show if they're cold, I'm sure the technology is there... they do it with MRE's.

Last edited:
Back