question on using honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewertodd

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a question about honey. I make a seasonal beer that calls for two pounds of local honey. My question is, is it ok to use raw honey, verses the stuff you get in the store? I know they do stuff to the store bought stuff, and we have a local guy here who sells his stuff raw. Thanks for any advice.

I do not see any reason to stop you from using honey raw. People use it in mead without boiling it to pasteurize. If you have any worries you could add it sometime in the last 5 min of the boil.

If you want any flavour from the honey boiling is not the way to go. If you are looking for honey flavour, you might want to try honey malt.

If it's going into the boil, it's a non-issue. If it's not, you may have some particulate (comb, legs, wings, pollen) floating in your finished beverage but that shouldn't be an issue either unless that kind of thing grosses you out. While it's not a sterile substance, it's actually pretty close. I use it in my ciders and mead when it's cost effective.

Raw honey is probably the best way to go. I have more experience removing honey from the comb than brewing with it.
Honey in the store may have been pasteurized, unless it is labeled otherwise. Heating to pasteurization temperature reduces naturally ocurring diastase enzymes.
I don't know if this will make a difference in the secondary or not.

If it's not, you may have some particulate (comb, legs, wings, pollen) floating in your finished beverage but that shouldn't be an issue either unless that kind of thing grosses you out.

Sorry where I am the bee keepers still call their honey raw with those parts removed. :mug:

Sorry where I am the bee keepers still call their honey raw with those parts removed. :mug:

I've only run into it with a few of the backyard beekeepers I get my honey from. Nothing better than a jar of wild flower honey with the comb in it. I don't give a rip about the by-products.

Ok. Thanks for the info. Its not going into the boil, it goes in at flame out. I hope that's ok. I heard its ok to put in then, but I wanted to check with you guys.

Back