Question on steps for an extract brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magjua

Reaction score
Hello! Quick question, I am brewing a pretty simple blonde ale and this is my second ever non-brewhouse kit beer.

The first one I steeped then boiled then siphoned off to my primary bucket and topped up. The grain was in a bag, the hops loose.

My question is, do I need to siphon it off the hops and bit of grain bits in the boil pot or should I just dump it all in and let it settle?

Thanks!

You can get good beer either way. For the longest time I just dumped the whole brew pot into the fermenter after chilling and topped up. That usually worked perfectly fine. Now I whirlpool and then siphon off of the hops. (I don't worry about break material.) That's partially because I have moved to AG and have more volume to wrestle, and partially because I occasionally noticed a vegetable-like flavor that I now think could have been generated by the hops sitting in the bottom of my fermenter for 2-3 weeks.

Thanks guys, I only have a pot to boil out 3 gallons, then I top with 2 of cold water, works well as a chiller too.

Figured by pouring I would aerate better than siphoning out.

It'll settle out,of course. But I prefer to pour the chilled wort through my dual layer fine mesh strainer to get out as much grain,hop,etc gunk out as possible. I get less trub/yeast in the bottom come time to rack to the bottling bucket.

Back