Question on different CO2 pressures in kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beere

Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My new kegerator will have 12 taps ( see here if interested: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/deep-six-brewery-back-action-164889/ ). My question is on different CO2 pressures. What I'm considering is a 4-way secondary regulator feeding 4 3-way distribution bars. That would allow me to have 4 different pressures within the kegerator. Do you guys feel like this should be enough? Or should I just grit my teeth and have 12 secondary regulators?

I can understand having a couple different pressures - For drastically different beers. But if your gas lines are each long enough to get to any keg, you could move them around as you choose.

I can't imagine what you could possibly need 12 different pressures for. IMO it's overkill to buy 12 regulators when 10 of them will all have the same number on the dial...

Would look pretty though! :mug:

Yeah.. I agree, just wanted to hear it from someone else I guess. He'll, 4 different pressures is probably overkill, but better to be safe than sorry. My initial idea for 12 secondary regulators was to have each line custom cut for how long they really needed to be.. But The line is cheap.. I can just cut them all long enough to swap around inside it.

Agree that you will most likely NOT need 12 different pressures.
I am building a keezer with now with 4 taps and got a hold of a 4-way regulator and question whether I really need that or if I could have gone with a manifold and 2 different pressures.

Besides...those big secondary panels take up some serious space.

I ended up going cheap(er) and will only have one pressure for now.. I've spent so much getting my bar operational, just couldn't justify spending any more that I had to for now.

I decided to get two 6-way distributors and one 2-way to split the gas. I will run the entire thing between 10~12 psi with all my beer lines initially being either 10 or 12 feet long. According to all the calculators, this is a little more CO2 than heavier beers will require, but as long as they pour well, I won't mind a little extra carbonation (I hope)..

the only thing i like having more than 1 reg for is when i wanna force carb a beer or pour a growler/fill bottles. I got a screaming deal on a 4 reg secondary setup, but 2-3 of them are always at the same pressure. i think as long as you can set more than 1 pressure you'd be good. maybe go for 1 more secondary reg down the road?

I don't see why you would want more then one pressure for the majority of your beers unless you had a soda on tap for mixed drinks or a belgian beer on tap which would make me want to visit your brewery/pub more. (or for the first time for that matter) I know you need different carbonation for different styles, but unless you have every style on tap you should be okay with a consistant pressure. your average person isn't going to complain if your pale is too carbonated compared to a undercarbonated belgian. I don't see why you'd want a belgian on tap anyways as the bottles are frickn awsome. I do contridict myself as I have a chimay grande reserve on tap now. though I am messing with the carbonation so I can beer gun it into bottles to cork. it is pretty cool to pull a tap to pour a 8.5% belgian, though it needs to age a bit more. needless to say you have a bad ass set up and what ever you do will be awsome.

Your flattery won't get you an invite to my bar Carl!! lol. Actually, if I can ever get it up and running, you can be (one of) the first to come over..

Yeah, I'm pretty much over it - for now. Everything will be set between 10~12 psi and as long as it pours smooth, who cares. The real beer snobs will probably be more upset that I keep my kegerator as cold as I am planning on to even notice if their beer is over carb'ed.. heh

Yeah.. I agree, just wanted to hear it from someone else I guess. He'll, 4 different pressures is probably overkill, but better to be safe than sorry. My initial idea for 12 secondary regulators was to have each line custom cut for how long they really needed to be.. But The line is cheap.. I can just cut them all long enough to swap around inside it.

I ended up going cheap(er) and will only have one pressure for now.. I've spent so much getting my bar operational, just couldn't justify spending any more that I had to for now.

I decided to get two 6-way distributors and one 2-way to split the gas. I will run the entire thing between 10~12 psi with all my beer lines initially being either 10 or 12 feet long. According to all the calculators, this is a little more CO2 than heavier beers will require, but as long as they pour well, I won't mind a little extra carbonation (I hope)..

You changed your mind as quick as a woman would- I''m so proud of you!

I've found that two pressures is plenty. One for highly carbed beers and/or "quick" force carbing, and one usually pressure. I find that I like most beers (even English milds) carbed at or near 2.2 vols anyway, so I almost always use the simple set up with two regs and the 4-way distributor. And right now, the second regulator doesn't have anything on it! All five kegs are currently on the distributor and WYE anyway.

I find that I like most beers (even English milds) carbed at or near 2.2 vols anyway, so I almost always use the simple set up with two regs and the 4-way distributor.

Shame, shame, drinking a mild at near champagne carbonation.

________

Back