Question on cereal mash for corn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

General_Jah

Reaction score
Hey guys I am going to do my first cereal mash with some nice fresh ground corn I got my hands on to try to coax more flavor out of it.

Question:

From the research I've been doing the sach rest is in the 165 to 172F range and everyone boils it from there. What I do not understand is why the boiling is necessary?

If on brewday once the sach rest is complete for the corn mash, what is stopping me from dumping the rest of my strike water and grains into it to reach my desired rest temp and brew as I normally would for an all grain batch?

Maybe I've been wrong about 'cereal mashes' all these years, but my understanding is that you prep the raw grain, usually by cooking it, in order to break down the cell walls and starch granules to make the starch available. Then proceed with your mash as usual.

Er sorry yeah I probably should not have said sach rest and instead said gelatinization rest but again I just don't understand the need for a boil if you are holding it at this rest for the needed period

I did Biermuncher's Cream of three crops this weekend and didnt have enough flaked maize. Went with quick cooking grits dumped directly into the mash with the rest of the grain and the minute rice (30% adjuncts 70% two-row recipe). Had some interesting looking hot break in the kettle but hit 90% mash efficiency so am sure I was at or at least very close to 100% conversion.

Well quick grits are not the same as freshly ground corn, you can get away with less cook time on those.

My question really just stems from the boiling, I don't see why boiling is necessary for the gelatinization process

Back