Question on airlock (3-piece)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTomMorrow

Reaction score
So I’m still quite new to this, and I realized I think I only really filled the outer portion of my airlock up to the line, and didn’t fill any water in the center portion. Obviously some water likely trickled in but nowhere near up to the line...

I put in the fermenter about 12 hours ago, there’s clearly fermentation happening in the carboy - but should I be concerned about this? Should I add water to the center or let it be?

Thanks so much in advance!

You should only be filling the outer portion of air lock. If you see bubbling you're fine. Unless I'm misunderstanding, filling the center portion will just empty into the fermenter.

Instead of plain water I use star San and some folks use spirits like vodka just incase it gets sucked back in.

You should only be filling the outer portion of air lock. If you see bubbling you're fine. Unless I'm misunderstanding, filling the center portion will just empty into the fermenter.

Instead of plain water I use star San and some folks use spirits like vodka just incase it gets sucked back in.

Oh okay perfect, thank you! I used to use the S shape so I thought I was supposed to fill the entire thing.

I didn’t have any bubbling until this morning.

Thanks so much!

Back