Question on a Tripel Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenFitness

Reaction score
I'm planning on trying my first Tripel soon, and my grain bill looks like this (for 6 gallons):

12 lbs. Belgian Pilsner
0.5 lbs. Amber Candi Sugar (for a little SRM boost)
2.5 lbs. Dextrose

Yeast: WLP500 Trappist (fermented at 62 - 64 degrees for 3 - 4 days then raise the temp about a degree per day until it is done)

So here is my question - should I add the 2.5 lbs. of dextrose after the initial 3 - 4 day period (giving the yeast more time to work on the pilsner grains first)? If so, should I keep the temp low during this time and then start raising 3 - 4 days after the addition of dextrose?

I'm a bit temperature sensitive on this one as I fermented my last WLP500 at about 68 - 70 in a Belgian IPA, and it came out VERY saison style (which is good but not what I was looking for).

Any help on the sugar addition timing would be appreciated!

From my readings and single experience, what you are are referring to is incremental feedings. It helps to lower your FG and get your Tripel nice and dry. What I did with 3 lbs of Blueberry honey, was add a lb at flameout, a lb after 3 days, and a final lb at day seven. I think I got it down quite low. 1.006...

As for temp, I heard a few brewers in "Brew like a Monk" talk about starting really low, around 60F, keep an ambient temp around their and just let the yeast go, it will ramp up from 60-75F in that week and after that it should cool down a bit naturally as the fermentation slows.
This gives you the balance of flavor formation without getting the fusels developed too early.. but still getting that Belgian flava'.
Hope this helped!

Remember that ambient does not equal your ferm temp. Be sure to calculate for the temp raise or directly measure it.

Latest posts

Back