question for recirculating BIAB users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulfg

Reaction score
what do people do for the wort return?
I notice on the high gravity system they use a spray nozzle ,does this not cause hot side aeration problems.
I currently use a loc line hose but worry about the effectiveness of sanitising it with all the individual links
thanks in advance
Paul

Hot side aeration is likely a myth (or at least highly exaggerated). That said, the loc line should be fine; you will be boiling after the mash, and sanitation is not really an issue (clean is good enough). All you really need is a piece of silicone hose (or your loc-line) just above the surface, positioned so that the liquid returns farily gently.

I use a sprinkler head (similar to High Gravity) mounted on a DIY sparge arm only during mash, not for boil nor for recirculation through the plate chiller.

I keep the flow down (via the valve on the pump) so that it's just a little more circulation than what you'd expect to see when fly sparging. I have yet to taste any sort of stale flavor in my brews made using this method.

no problem big floyd I will search for lawn spinkler and see what I can find on line or local to me.Ideally stainless steel but may have to settle for brass
Paul

I use the plastic kind. The head is the sort that you use for shrubs.

Back