Question for indoor e-biab brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snicklefritz

Reaction score
I am in the processing of building a little brew room in my basement and ran into a snag while planning things out. I currently brew in a 15G e-biab system in my garage. In the garage, I have a pulley above the pot that I use to hoist the grain bag out of the wort and allow it to drain. I think this is pretty common. What I haven't seen is anyone doing this with a giant vent hood over their kettle. There is simply nowhere to mount the pulley other than inside the hood itself (which I can't imagine would work too well) What are you biab guys with vent hoods over your kettle doing to hoist the grain bag out?

Thanks!

Not in your situation but is there any way to make your vent hood in a way that it could be adjusted and moved over the kettle just when necessary? That or making the hood come off the kettle at a 45 degree angle?

I am in the processing of building a little brew room in my basement and ran into a snag while planning things out. I currently brew in a 15G e-biab system in my garage. In the garage, I have a pulley above the pot that I use to hoist the grain bag out of the wort and allow it to drain. I think this is pretty common. What I haven't seen is anyone doing this with a giant vent hood over their kettle. There is simply nowhere to mount the pulley other than inside the hood itself (which I can't imagine would work too well) What are you biab guys with vent hoods over your kettle doing to hoist the grain bag out?

Thanks!

that is exactly what I plan to do. I got a 15.75" mixing bowl to serve as a vent hood and the mounting rod that will mount that will also mount the pulley for the bag. (right down the center.)

here is a picture of the arm that everything is getting mounted to:

CAM00463.jpg

Thanks for the advice. Moving the vent hood isn't an option as it is mounted to the wall. Offsetting the pot away from the hood a bit may work. The only other thing I thought of would be to move the pot itself somehow so I'd mash under the pulley and then move the pot over somehow under the hood for the boil. Moving a 13G pot of hot wort doesn't sound fun to me either though.

I guess it might help to show the hood I am using.

http://www.cavalierehoods.com/products/Cavaliere-AP238%2dPSD-Wall-Mount-Range-Hood.html

I got it for free in case anyone is wondering why I am putting such a nice vent hood in my basement :)

Is there any way you could set the pot on a cart and just wheel it under the pulley location? I've seen quite a few BIAB set-ups on carts. Something like this or this? I've managed so far to survive without a vent hood by brewing in front of a window fan.

Is there any way you could set the pot on a cart and just wheel it under the pulley location? I've seen quite a few BIAB set-ups on carts. Something like this or this? I've managed so far to survive without a vent hood by brewing in front of a window fan.

I already have everything mounted to a wooden brew stand and I suppose it would be pretty easy to put some casters on it. Thanks for the idea that was right in front of my face but couldn't see it.

Here is what I tried and ended up with -

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/exhaust-fan-condensation-drips-help-pic-423021/

In the first pic I had a big eye screw in my "hood" that I planned to use to hold the bag and keep the vent going.

So if you plan on keeping it all stationary .... somehow you can get an eye bolt/chain/linkage through your vent hood and pull the bag up with it.

Not sure what your vent setup is... but keep in mind it takes a LOT of fan and big ducts to pull a gallon plus of water out and keep it from "raining" down on your pot/setup.

Now I just use a window and a fan with my hook in the rafters.

good luck
haeffnkr

Can you build an arm that comes off your cart and holds the pulley? You can.make it so it swivels out of the way.

Maybe try using a cherry picker. It can be wheeled into place, used to raise the bag, then moved out of the way when not needed. If your hood is not too close to the pot, it should work fine.

You could put an eyelet mounted to the ceiling on one side of the hood and a pulley on the other. Then a pulley on your bag and it will take less force to remove your bag but a bit more rope. Just an idea.

-BD

Can you install a beam the bridges across your hood and install the pulley eyelet on that.

Eta or a chain or a rope that goes across the hood.

You should be able to make a frame out construction lumber, 2x4, 4x6, etc, that can support your bag of wet grain. I envision something that stands on the floor and spans above your kettle.

Eta If you have the funds and the tooling, a unistrut frame is a possibility.

Go with the castors on the bench. Get the locking kind so you can lock it down for the boil as needed.
The simplest solution is the best!

If the kettle is low and the hood high enough you can just put a hole in the hood and run the pulley rope through it.

Back