Question for Brewer's Friend Users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlapjackAM

Reaction score
Hello all. I've been using Brewer's Friend to build my first few all grain recipes, but for the first time I plugged in a recipe from Brew Your Own and found that the numbers don't match up, and I'm wondering what I'm missing. I'm planning on doing the Anchor Steam Porter Clone recipe with the following grain bill:

11 lbs. 2 row pale
1.5 lbs crystal 40
12 oz chocolate
12 oz black

Comes out to 1.070 OG and 1.022 FG at their default 65% efficiency. However, when I plug it into BF, I only get 1.059 for a batch size of 5.5 gal (into fermentor). If I bring it down to 5 gal batch size it's still only 1.065. That's a big difference! What am I forgetting? Was looking forward to having real numbers to base my final results on but now I'm not sure which set of OG's to go with. Oh, and I'm doing BIAB no-sparge so 65-67% efficiency is about what I've been getting.

Following. I got crazy different OG numbers in Brewers Friend and never could figure out why,

Following. I got crazy different OG numbers in Brewers Friend and never could figure out why,

So it ends up I'm partially just a fool. It was 11 and 14 oz of 2 row not just 11. So it was closer, but it was still off, especially the FG. I'm hesitant now because it's already going to be high gravity; if I get even 70% instead of 6% I'll be well over 1.080! I'll probably just go for it and hope my numbers are just on the ballpark.

Latest posts

Back