Question for anyone using a fridge to ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksub123

Reaction score
Im thinking about buying a fridge and temperature controller for my fermentations. Seems like the best next step. While contemplating this I was thinking how i could buy my hops in bulk and just keep them in the freezer. Think how much money ill save, its like the time i decided to start brewing my own beer to save money...

Then i realized that if the temp controller is controlling the fridge, it is also controlling the freezer. Does anyone use their freezer for storage, and if you do does messing with the fridge temp cause issues with the freezer?

The fridge/freezer can't be used to keep anything else cold when you have it set at fermentation temps.

Well that’s really what I expected but it would have been nice to have all my beer supplies in one spot.

You mean an extra extra extra fridge since I have one for bottles and I’m looking for a fermentation one, plus my kitchen fridge.

I’m sure the wife would love that!

If you need to make a choice, I would choose to use temperature control for fermentation and just buy hops as you need them. Your beer will taste better

We don't count kitchen fridges, and a bottle fridge is hardly "extra" - it's almost a necessity, yes? :D
fwiw, I have three top-freezer units in my humble brewery, plus my keezer. One of those is a cold-conditioning/carbonation fridge/hop freezer which would be my "extra"...

Cheers!

Yeah, a fridge/freezer with independent controls is one of home brewing's unicorns.
The solution is to get an "extra" fridge/freezer ;)

Cheers!

But i keep my hops in my keg fridge's freezer....

You mean an extra extra extra fridge since I have one for bottles and I’m looking for a fermentation one, plus my kitchen fridge.

I’m sure the wife would love that!

SAY WHAT? you don't even have "three"? i'm not even a serious homebrewer, and i have 3.... :D (Maybe there should be a group buy for fridges here along with ingredients)

Craig's List makes dreams real :) Two of the three fridges combined were two years old and cost me $225 together.
Otoh, the third fridge - decidedly not from Craig's List - cost the equivalent of $50,000 :drunk: (read: cast off from a kitchen remodel)...

Cheers!

searchdeadend.jpg

(read: cast off from a kitchen remodel)...

i tried...lol

edit: maybe a link?

Back